Author Topic: Interior grab handle fell off!  (Read 1602 times)

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
Interior grab handle fell off!
« on: 06 April 2014, 16:58 »
So....

Driving along to the in laws this afternoon and there is a klunk noise followed by a thud.

While trying to figure out where this noise came from my son holds up one of the interior grab handles (the ones that are on the inside roof).

Looks like it just decided to fall off (has never been used by anyone getting in and out of the car)  :rolleyes:

Doesn't seem to be an easy way to get this back on either.  One side of the fallen handle has the whole spring unit and the other side appears to have come out of the spring unit (it is still in the roof).

There are some tabs on either side of the handle that look like you could put a flat screwdriver in and raise.  These tabs are flat in all four point of the front handles.  They are flat on the part that has stayed in the roof of the handle that fell but raised on the part of clip that fell with the handle.  The other handle passenger side has these tabs both raised.

I will try and add a picture later.  Can anyone check their cars - are these tabs meant to be raised or flat on all handles?

Sounds like a trip to dealer is in order...
« Last Edit: 06 April 2014, 19:17 by dippy_x »
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
Re: Interior grab handle fell off!
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2014, 17:17 »
So this is the fallen handle

This is a raised tab on the other rear handle

And this flat tab from one of the front handles

GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2014, 21:18 »
Looks like one side has completely snapped and the other has totally come way from the roof. Damaged from the factory maybe but not sure how easy it will be to fix.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2014, 07:42 »
Popped into VW garage yesterday and have booked the car in to get checked. Getting a courtesy car.  All seems a bit of overkill for a fallen handle!  Had a quick check on a Golf in the showroom and all of the square tabs on all four of these handles in the car are flush/flat.

Definately feels like something that has gone a bit it wrong at build.  Didn't even cross my mind to check something like this as pick up!