Author Topic: MK8 latest info  (Read 42444 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: MK8 latest info
« Reply #150 on: 18 June 2020, 16:59 »
Quite sure in a couple of years there's going to be a booming market on MK8 bonnet hydraulic after market kits  :D :D

Really not too sure about Andrews views on the door handles though. Having the lock barrel open like that reminds me of my Vauxhall Astra from years ago, where after sometime dirt and crap would either work it's way into the barrel or the external flap would corrode up.

Just looked at the R-Line on the VW web site and TBH, that actually doesn't look too bad externally, but there's a lot of options you need to tick to bring it up to MK7.5 GTI type equipment levels which really do push the price up. If VW UK stick to form, and to be fair to them present the UK market with a very well specified "standard" GTI or R, I shudder to think what the base price will be  ?
« Last Edit: 18 June 2020, 17:04 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #151 on: 18 June 2020, 18:37 »
The Mk7 & 7.5 R Line's were also lacking in kit compared to the GTi, that's not a Mk8 thing. They've always worked out expensive when you tick loads of boxes on the options list.
7.5 GTD

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #152 on: 19 June 2020, 02:19 »
Here is a comprehensive inspection of a Mk 8 Golf that goes through the exterior and interior equipment and design but does not include a test drive. It has many interesting details. Quite informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTxsByvjQ6g   
« Last Edit: 21 June 2020, 01:25 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #153 on: 20 June 2020, 03:55 »
One of the more objective, balanced reviews I’ve seen of the mk8 Golf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbt4jsLvTjQ&list=PL1C8EA6AE22E2B6DA&index=3

I agree with the reviewer on the interior trim colour of the car he’s driving - not practical for a daily driver, and likely to get grubby very quickly.

Some of the reviewer’s responses to the comments below the video are also interesting - he acknowledges and agrees it seems there’s been a step down in quality compared to the mk7 / mk7.5, and that the software issues he experienced during the period he had the car became annoying (multiple error messages from different systems). The infotainment screen did seem to take for ever to boot up at the beginning of the video.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2020, 04:20 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Ulysses31

• Not said much yet
« Reply #154 on: 21 June 2020, 00:35 »
With every new review that I watch, the Golf 8 seems to get uglier and uglier. It's not merely bland, it's actively repulsive. That grey colour is the worst yet. How on earth did they mess it up so badly?
White Golf GTI Mk7.5

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #155 on: 21 June 2020, 14:51 »
....Why on earth did the honeycomb holes need to be that large? Leaves the radiator and a/c condenser very exposed to damage from flying stones and other road debris. A grill with a smaller, more subtle honeycomb pattern would have looked better IMO, and provided more protection.

Hopefully VW will have a large stock of radiators and condensers available for when owners need replacements.

That's true but I suppose the Golf R has 2 large lower air vents with radiators behind them that are totally open so they must be confident no damage will take place.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #156 on: 21 June 2020, 17:53 »
With every new review that I watch, the Golf 8 seems to get uglier and uglier. It's not merely bland, it's actively repulsive. That grey colour is the worst yet. How on earth did they mess it up so badly?

Funnily enough the colour was about the only thing I did like about the car!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #157 on: 24 June 2020, 12:07 »
Going with trend of there being nothing compelling about switching to a MK 8 or purchasing a run out MK 7.5 off the forecourt is these images of the MK 8 GTI TCR

https://www.motor1.com/news/422752/vw-golf-gti-tcr-no-camo/

Maybe there is more trim to come, but just looking at these images on face value, the front end is awful, one huge gaping grin, the rear diffuser is very muted and nowhere near as nice as the MK 7.5 TCR with the Akrapovic lost

However, do like the rear spoiler, that would be the only add can see.

The rendered front end looks much better https://www.motor1.com/news/391961/vw-gti-286-horsepower-rumor/

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #158 on: 24 June 2020, 12:40 »
Going with trend of there being nothing compelling about switching to a MK 8 or purchasing a run out MK 7.5 off the forecourt is these images of the MK 8 GTI TCR

https://www.motor1.com/news/422752/vw-golf-gti-tcr-no-camo/

Maybe there is more trim to come, but just looking at these images on face value, the front end is awful, one huge gaping grin, the rear diffuser is very muted and nowhere near as nice as the MK 7.5 TCR with the Akrapovic lost

However, do like the rear spoiler, that would be the only add can see.

The rendered front end looks much better https://www.motor1.com/news/391961/vw-gti-286-horsepower-rumor/

Agree, I saw the first image over on golfmk7.com the other day. That lower grille is not nice at all IMO.

I think the lower grille in the render (2nd link) is probably a good indication of what the mk8 R will look like, with horizontal slats in the centre section of the lower grille rather than a honeycomb section. I agree, the rendered image at the second link does look better than the car at the first link.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #159 on: 24 June 2020, 19:45 »
It needs some body coloured panels in the front bumper just to break up that huge expanse of grill IMO, to break it into 3 distinct sections.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras