Author Topic: R32 as a Track Day car?  (Read 15570 times)

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Re: R32 as a Track Day car?
« Reply #20 on: 15 March 2012, 21:59 »
EVO would be a great choice as long as its been looked after.. Your not likely to get a good track VW vehicle for that price (thats newish anyway)
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 15 March 2012, 22:17 »
if i had 6k to spend on a dedicated track day car, i'm almost ashamed to say it would have to be a subaru.
dont be ashamed as you must know how good they can be  :evil:
would be a scoob or an evo if it was my cash

Offline turbokid23

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 16 March 2012, 00:32 »

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #23 on: 16 March 2012, 06:53 »
What point of 'heavy on consumables' aren't you lot getting?

The 'but it's only a track car' argument rather misses the point that a dedicated track car will get through consumables at a pretty alarming rate.  This is especially true for an Evo, which is not only using its brakes to stop itself, but also using the brakes to keep your stupid self on the track through all its elastrickery.

The Golf1 posted earlier is OK, but would need the thick end of a grand spent on it to get it properly prepared and safe.  To be honest any second hand car you buy will probably need that spent on it to be properly taken on track.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline turbokid23

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 16 March 2012, 09:57 »
Like every 1 say it's not the running cost or eney think else don't think he going to track it every week end once every month or 2 I got a lik track car and I only do mine when I can be assd to do so,,

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #25 on: 16 March 2012, 12:55 »
Like every 1 say it's not the running cost or eney think else don't think he going to track it every week end once every month or 2 I got a lik track car and I only do mine when I can be assd to do so,,

Can someone please translate?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #26 on: 16 March 2012, 15:35 »
I cant translate.. But DH is right consumables are expensive whatever bloody car lol.. Ferrodo DS3000 pads which are good for track are like £200 a set and dont last forever.. Good quality fluids and constant changes and services.. Good tyres my mate paid £800 for a set of R888's and they not even the best and they last 2 good track sessions.. wheel bearings.. ball joints.. etc etc the list is endless you cant get a road car track it without issues

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #27 on: 16 March 2012, 18:38 »
tech1990 and Diamond Hell you are definitely missing the point of my query, i completely understand where you are coming from as you both obviously have plenty experience in track days.

What i propose to do is buy a car, leave it in the garage for 95% of the year and take it for the odd track day every month or so. I dont want a competition car and i dont want something that is going to be modified to its limit.

What i would like is a fast, fun easily modified car. As i say i work 7 days a week so i'd have to take holiday to have a trackday never mind work on fitting turbo chargers or super chargers!

The origional thought about the R32 was the fact it can be stripped easily, an ARB, exhaust, set of coilovers etc... can be work done on nights.

Theres no way i'd buy something already modified to track standard as i dont know the cars history, i would never buy a modified car full stop! I modified my Golf from it being standard and thats what i'm now doing with the Lupo

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #28 on: 16 March 2012, 19:55 »
R32 will be fine just not our choices lol

Offline johnnyvr6

• Here all the time
  • golf v6 4motion soon to be 1.8t'd
« Reply #29 on: 16 March 2012, 20:07 »
dc2 integra for a track car is meant to be very good,e36 m3 evo big power would also be a cheap alternative both can be had for 3k