Poll

so am I

foolish ?
0 (0%)
brave?
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: oulton park  (Read 3487 times)

Offline gremlin848

• Not said much yet
  • golf mk 8 gti and luv it to bits kings red all opp
oulton park
« on: 07 March 2012, 14:42 »
Ok everybody that want a laugh come to oulton park on tue the 20th. As i will be going around for the verry first time on a track (and i mean any track) in my golf mk5 standard gti So if any body has any tips to keep me on the tarmac I would be very greatful and if anybody just wants a laugh well I might just  give you onel ok its about 1600hr for us beginers so see you there

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
Re: oulton park
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2012, 01:42 »
Neither foolish nor brave!

Everyone has to pop their Track cherry somewhere and Oulton Park is a lovely track to do it on.

Just ensure you have checked the car over, plenty of pad wear left, tyres to pressure, oil and coolant levels checked etc and you are good to go.

Take it carefully on track and always keep checking your rear view mirrors as there is usually some fast metal out there that can approach fast.

Build up your speed gradually and don't be tempted to actually race anyone - it is a trackday and not a race!

Cool the car and brakes down by taking a steady in-lap before pitting and don't put on the handbrake when you pull up after a session.

If the brakes start to feel spongy, slow down take a cooldown lap and pull into the pits as your brake fluid will be overheating.

Above all be safe and enjoy the day. :cool:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2012, 08:17 »
Take it carefully on track and always keep checking your rear view mirrors as there is usually some fast metal out there that can approach fast.

And don't expect it to be fast looking stuff that you're wrestling with.  If it's shown up in your mirrors in the last lap and it wasn't there before, move over.

If the brakes start to feel spongy, slow down take a cooldown lap and pull into the pits as your brake fluid will be overheating.

Do you know when the brake fluid was last changed?  If it's not within the last two years, get it changed before you go.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline gremlin848

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2012, 10:58 »
ahd the brake fluid changed last month had the brake pads checked yesterday on my mot (asked to make sure there was plenty left as i was going to the track ) just thought on why the helmet? dont think ill be going that fast...

Offline gremlin848

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2012, 10:58 »
ahd the brake fluid changed last month had the brake pads checked yesterday on my mot (asked to make sure there was plenty left as i was going to the track ) just thought on why the helmet? dont think ill be going that fast...

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2012, 11:14 »
just thought on why the helmet? dont think ill be going that fast...

Errr, you won't be going on the track without a helmet.  It's part of the rules of the day, normally.

Usually there are lids to rent on the day.  If you don't have a lid then rent one for the day.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2012, 23:35 »
Even though your MOT tester said your pads were `fine`, you`ll find normal road pads will most likely overheat and fade on track. Not only that, but they`ll wear out MUCH faster than when you drive on the road.

Have fun.

Offline antogoof

• I live here
  • bbm mk2 g60
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2012, 00:08 »
oulton is brilliant, i went last month with apex trackdays and it was fantastic, watch out on the last corner tho, its a double apex and a bit of a b!tch to get right the first few times. :smiley:
mk2 bright blue met bits wanted in north west.

Offline gremlin848

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2012, 11:22 »
well i hope it will be fun I'm going with motor sport vision and acording to all the bumph it should be fun for a short while the onto the ring and the next f1 champion   lol