Author Topic: Gti and R testdrive  (Read 28969 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Gti and R testdrive
« Reply #40 on: 07 December 2018, 06:13 »
I really appreciate everyone’s comments. It’s interesting to see how much people’s thoughts vary on the two cars. Just shows how much of this is personal in terms of feel for the car. I didn’t intend for the topic to be a Gti v R, hence the title as each car is amazing. After 3 years of S3 ownership perhaps the R is just more similar in manner than a gti so it didn’t feel as different. I think I’m going to take the cars out again in January as I have time on my deal yet, even with factoring the ridiculous waiting times in. This time I’ll take the R out first and see if there’s the same feeling. As a family car there are fewer compromises with the gti.

The test drive route was a mixture of B roads and town driving and the weather was awful which was perfect for looking at traction as it’s a concern after having Quattro. But both cars handled well. I did push them and I know the R was in a different league put not sure I personally need it as it’s hard to actually use the S3 power on a day to day basis. Suppose it depends how we all drive though.  :wink:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 07 December 2018, 06:37 »
All this utter nonsense about the R being in a different league is totally laughable. 4wd isn't the holy grail of driving and if anything it manages to instill a false confidence into the driver. Every car has good points and bad points and everyone has a different attribute they want from a car. I drove both the R and GTi before buying my GTi PP do I regret not buying an R? Not a chance. Do I think the R is better, no not for me.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 07 December 2018, 07:00 »
I like to make people chuckle.  :grin:

I don’t think that 4wd is the be all and end all. My driving history confirms. They are just very different and I’m surprised just how different they are. I don’t regret any cars I’ve bought. Not even the age old Megane I had to buy when when last gti was stolen. It served a purpose. It made me realise how lucky I am!

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #43 on: 07 December 2018, 08:04 »
All this utter nonsense about the R being in a different league is totally laughable. 4wd isn't the holy grail of driving and if anything it manages to instill a false confidence into the driver. Every car has good points and bad points and everyone has a different attribute they want from a car. I drove both the R and GTi before buying my GTi PP do I regret not buying an R? Not a chance. Do I think the R is better, no not for me.

:grin: :grin: :grin:
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 07 December 2018, 14:17 »

I don’t think that 4wd is the be all and end all. My driving history confirms. They are just very different and I’m surprised just how different they are. I don’t regret any cars I’ve bought. Not even the age old Megane I had to buy when when last gti was stolen. It served a purpose. It made me realise how lucky I am!
It wasn't meant directly at you King monkey 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 07 December 2018, 15:39 »
I think it all comes down to what people want from their cars. If you want to beat most things on the road from the lights going down a motorway slip road or whatever then you'd go for the Golf R.

If you wants something that feels more alive on the country roads you'd go for a GTI PP or Clubsport

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 07 December 2018, 16:25 »

It wasn't meant directly at you King monkey 👍

I know! Just decided to be funny. My wife is always telling me I’m not! I do think there is an idea out there that if you don’t but an R it’s because you can’t afford it or you’ve made a mistake. We are all capable of making informed decisions and I would say that I enjoyed my various Gti’s more that’s the S3. All my friends think I’m mad even considering it. “But it’s an Audi.” Makes me laugh. Only family member who know stuff about cars are saying sensible things.

Some great points on here. I saw some new photos of the tcr though. Looks great.

Out of interest, anyone got a white gti with pan roof and added black mirror caps?

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #47 on: 07 December 2018, 18:05 »

Assuming Clarky92 isn't a WUM ( not usual on this forum  :nerd:) Naturally I agree 100%. I drove 2 pre F/L R models before they announced the Mk 7.5 R and honestly if anyone gets the chance to try one and I mean drive one (don't if you can't truly afford the running costs) It honestly performs amazingly and gives £100K cars a fright, and handles superbly. I look fwd to driving it every time down to the shops or Cornwall. I think the R 310 could become the best R ever value for money equipment etc. I'm not sure another 40bhp is necessary or would be that noticeable. The Mk8 has a lot to live up to for sure.

Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 07 December 2018, 19:08 »

Assuming Clarky92 isn't a WUM ( not usual on this forum  :nerd:) Naturally I agree 100%. I drove 2 pre F/L R models before they announced the Mk 7.5 R and honestly if anyone gets the chance to try one and I mean drive one (don't if you can't truly afford the running costs) It honestly performs amazingly and gives £100K cars a fright, and handles superbly. I look fwd to driving it every time down to the shops or Cornwall. I think the R 310 could become the best R ever value for money equipment etc. I'm not sure another 40bhp is necessary or would be that noticeable. The Mk8 has a lot to live up to for sure.

I have one of the last pre facelift Golf R's produced in 2016.  So I can safely say I have driven one and can second your comments apart from the fuel consumption.  As my Golf R isn't much less on MPG than my GTI PP when i owned it previously.  Also I would like to say the gearbox on my Golf R is sublime.  it is the best gearbox of any car I have owned so far and I have owned a fair few.. it is not like a tractors gearbox.  I will be keeping this car until the MK8 Golf R is launched which is looking like a few years yet. 

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #49 on: 07 December 2018, 20:29 »

I have one of the last pre facelift Golf R's produced in 2016.  So I can safely say I have driven one and can second your comments apart from the fuel consumption.  As my Golf R isn't much less on MPG than my GTI PP when i owned it previously.  Also I would like to say the gearbox on my Golf R is sublime.  it is the best gearbox of any car I have owned so far and I have owned a fair few.. it is not like a tractors gearbox.  I will be keeping this car until the MK8 Golf R is launched which is looking like a few years yet.
[/quote]

I wish i'd had your gearbox, maybe they fixed it just in time for yours being built, but mine (May 15 Plate), a colleague's (Jan 15 (64 plate) and a car at the local dealership's forecourt (also a 15 plate) had the same immediately obvious feel - the throw feels gritty, like the cogs are just skimming each other in the gearbox. a few times a month (enough to annoy, but not enough to replicate at the garage, short of paying for them to run around in my car with my fuel for a fortnight) i'd have stopped in traffic or at a busy roundabout with my clutch dipped and then go to slot first home when it was time to move, and the stick didn't want to slot in, to the point where I felt it would crunch the gear if I forced it, so I would have to slot it into 1st and then back to 1st to go. Similarly, on occasion, doing 40-50mph in 6th sat behind one thing hogging the outside lane doing 45mph that then gets out of the way, I go to drop to 3rd from 6th, and again it doesn't want to slot home without feeling like you'd force it. Seriously f**king annoying at the critical moment. Then I've had clutch slip on my stock R with only 23k miles on it during the 2 coldest days of the year (in March).

The dealership claimed the gritty throw was characteristic for the car, and considering trying out 2 other cars and experiencing the same, I had no reason to disagree. Worst gearbox ever for m. My colleague never claimed that they'd had the difficulty in slotting the gearstick home in any gear. 1 and 3 have the worst feel, 2 and 4 are better, 5 and 6 are fine.

The dealership's refusal to investigate further on the assumption that it meets VW's standards just sickened me. I'm in my first DSG ever with the Polo GTI+ because it only comes in DSG, but part of me is glad it has DSG rather than potentially getting another gearbox like my R has. If it weren't for that box, my R would be by far the best car i've had.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.