Author Topic: Jon's 91' Mk2 ABF Digi GTI  (Read 63125 times)

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
Jon's 91' Mk2 ABF Digi GTI
« on: 28 July 2009, 17:28 »
Right then my new purchase. Having been aircooled for the past 4 years I've just had to sell my bug due to no garage to carry on keeping it uptogether. 3 winters out in the open was beginning to take it's tole and having exhausted every option she had to go.

So being 19 and a student, I was forced to look for something a little more practical. Not too practical though of course and I certainly wasn't going to be settling on any saxo's, corsa's or sh*t like that ;D It had to soften the blow of loosing the Bug.

Roll in the the GTI. Bought from a guy who seemed sound and had owned it the past 5 years. The car isn't immaculate by any means but seems tidy and is completely original bar the springs (no boy'd up tat here thankyou). A huge car culture shock when all I've ever really driven is my Beetle!

This is how it looked when I picked it up

Picked it up and started to drive it home. 20 mins into the journey the coolant light starts flashing. Checked the MFA - oil temp 140! I pull over, open the bonnet and it's completely emptied the coolant reservoir. By this time it's getting dark so a quick phonecall to the AA results in being towed home with a suspected head gasket. After a 7 hour trip I finally get home with it. Arses.

Having a look over a few days later it appears the power steering belt is very loose. Turns out the water pump wasn't being turned properly. Fiver later and a new belt happy days ;D

Having only had it a couple of months I'm slowly collecting bits for it. Just the usual work so far - cambelt, oil change etc, cooling system overhaul, thermostat, rad. Got some VDO gauges to go in, valve stem seals are to be done and it needs new discs and pads soon too. Could do with a new drivers seat too.

Anyhow after a good couple of days of cleaning and some freshly powdercoated sebrings:

« Last Edit: 18 February 2012, 18:15 by jmsheahan »

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Re: 8v GTI on a student budget
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2009, 17:40 »
Looks smart that mate, I had an 8v mk2 when i was in my first year at Uni, in tornado red too!

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2009, 17:41 »
good to see another shiney red one :afro:

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2009, 17:41 »
Cheers guys
« Last Edit: 28 July 2009, 18:12 by jmsheahan »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2009, 19:07 »
Looks very nice.

Offline sparkplug

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2009, 19:00 »
 :cool: nice looking GTI 
wish my 8V was that clean  :grin:
1986 GTI atlas grey

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2009, 19:31 »
Not really much to report as of late. Valve stem seals are being done on monday and the monday after that it's having a little bodywork done. I will then be officially skint  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 28 December 2009, 12:28 by jmsheahan »

Offline capoot

• Here all the time
  • Mk1 Skoda Octavia VRS
« Reply #7 on: 06 August 2009, 19:44 »
Really like that mate, must be painfull losing that bug though!  :sick:

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2009, 09:40 »
Really like that mate, must be painfull losing that bug though!  :sick:

Cheers. Loosing the bug was a massive kick to the nads  :undecided:  My first motor and the amount of time and money I spent on it was unreal. It is missed and I will def be having another one day, just not as a daily. The golf has softened the blow considerably though - makes me grin every time booting it in 2nd. It's quite nice having a few interior bits too rather than just the 3 knobs the bug had for a dash  :laugh:

Gone but not forgotten

« Last Edit: 10 August 2009, 09:48 by jmsheahan »

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2009, 16:23 »
Stem seals now replaced. Seems to have cured the oil burning touch wood.

Been hacking up the centre console this afternoon to fit the VDO gauges. 2 hours, a Dremel, file and a large screwdriver and we have this. Look pretty good I reckon. Just need to fit the ciggy lighter and finish making the loom for em.

Chop chop chop

Testfitted. Will need to come out again for the wiring. Fake at the mo  :laugh: