Author Topic: Gti and R testdrive  (Read 28989 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Gti and R testdrive
« Reply #30 on: 05 December 2018, 20:00 »
In terms of the weight of the R I wonder if it would have felt different if I’d taken it out first rather than the gti? I wouldn’t have thought the R is heavier than the S3, not so you could notice even if it was. My car didn’t feel heavy in comparison when I drove back.

Incidentally, the route back from the dealers was awesome. Proper B road stuff.  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 05 December 2018, 23:12 »
In terms of the weight of the R I wonder if it would have felt different if I’d taken it out first rather than the gti? I wouldn’t have thought the R is heavier than the S3, not so you could notice even if it was. My car didn’t feel heavy in comparison when I drove back.

Incidentally, the route back from the dealers was awesome. Proper B road stuff.  :grin:

The S3 is about 50Kg lighter due to the all Aluminium doors (at least they were pre-facelift, and felt more solid - a thick aluminium door is lighter than a thin steel door, but feels sturdier) and part of the chassis being Aluminium.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 05 December 2018, 23:25 »
The only issue at the moment is with the pp GTi being less exclusive than before. It was a reasonably rare sight to see a GTi with the PP whereas now every man and his dog will be driving them.

I think you're confusing unpopular with exclusive Chris. Back when GTD residuals were great (pre-dieselgate), you could run a GTD for around £100 a month less than a GTI on average mileage, making them very popular as a private buy (you and I bought one). It was also an attractive proposition as a company car. People were still buying GTIs, but GTDs were outselling them 5:1. Then the R turned up with sky high GFV and cheap lease deals, no one (relatively speaking) was buying a GTI back then when they could have an R on lower monthlies.

The tables have since turned as the GTI is now cheaper to own/run than an R, and everyone is put off by diesels, so the GTI is now selling in reasonable numbers, although there are plenty of new GTDs being bought as company cars but not so many private buyers. The R or equivalent such as VR6, V6 4Motion was always a niche car until the MK7, never harming the GTIs sales. They were always considerably more expensive when they had a V6 shoehorned in, so for most, the GTI was a very popular choice.

Now the PP has become the standard GTI available, there's bound to be more coming onto the roads.

Not sure why VW led with such a weak GFV for the GTI from the start of the MK7's lifecycle.

It will be interesting to see if VW makes the MK8 R accessible to so many, eroding GTI sales in the process.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 06 December 2018, 22:05 »
Here goes ....

I have owned a MK 7.5 GTI and currently a MK 7.5 GTI PP

I took a 7.5 R out for a test drive today. I experienced it on wet dual carriageways and twisty roads. I then drove the same roads in the same conditions on the way home from the dealership in my GTI PP.

Wow  :grin:

What a difference. Obviously the traction is in a different league. I could plant the throttle in 1st in the rain and off it went, no slipping no wheelspin. My GTI PP on the same road on the way home just refused to let me use any power.

I immediately noticed the difference in weight. The GTI is definitely lighter on its feet. There is more 'roll' in the body of the GTI when taking a corner in a spirited manner. The R didn't have the body roll, it just felt planted. Almost cornered flat. The R didnt feel like it was throwing more weight around in the twisties, it just stuck to the tarmac like glue.

The power. It is 100% quicker then the GTI PP. I did a mix of rolling starts and using the power in the twisties. No doubt about it, on a damp day like today, the R would leave a GTI PP on any road. In the bone dry, maybe not as much, but it was raining and damp so thats all I can go on.

I would like to add the R did have the akrapovic exhaust which was just  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The pops and bangs were awesome.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents on the debate.

If it means anything, Im about to complete the deal tomorrow morning on a new 7.5 R for 1st March 2019 collection  :grin:

Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 06 December 2018, 22:41 »
Here goes ....

I have owned a MK 7.5 GTI and currently a MK 7.5 GTI PP

I took a 7.5 R out for a test drive today. I experienced it on wet dual carriageways and twisty roads. I then drove the same roads in the same conditions on the way home from the dealership in my GTI PP.

Wow  :grin:

What a difference. Obviously the traction is in a different league. I could plant the throttle in 1st in the rain and off it went, no slipping no wheelspin. My GTI PP on the same road on the way home just refused to let me use any power.

I immediately noticed the difference in weight. The GTI is definitely lighter on its feet. There is more 'roll' in the body of the GTI when taking a corner in a spirited manner. The R didn't have the body roll, it just felt planted. Almost cornered flat. The R didnt feel like it was throwing more weight around in the twisties, it just stuck to the tarmac like glue.

The power. It is 100% quicker then the GTI PP. I did a mix of rolling starts and using the power in the twisties. No doubt about it, on a damp day like today, the R would leave a GTI PP on any road. In the bone dry, maybe not as much, but it was raining and damp so thats all I can go on.

I would like to add the R did have the akrapovic exhaust which was just  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The pops and bangs were awesome.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents on the debate.

If it means anything, Im about to complete the deal tomorrow morning on a new 7.5 R for 1st March 2019 collection  :grin:

The R is just so easy to drive hard all the time.  it is crazy how different it feels to the GTI. I like to drive my R and Polo GTI+ equally (maybe the Polo edges it because i'm on such a downer about the absolutely sh!te manual box the pre-facelift R has), but each have their own character, The missus generally drives the R now, because I think the lack of traction in the winter for the Polo will frustrate the hell out of her. Having to hold back from 0 up to 20mph can at times be annoying, but even only putting 40% throttle down is still pretty nippy compared to the average car (because most of them will also suffer tramping).

The R will be traded in against another Polo GTI+ because, to be frank, i'm not prepared to commit more than £500 a month into covering the depreciation of 2 cars bought cash (£500 goes a long way when you're not paying PCP interest) -car ownership got pretty expensive once the wife learned to drive - fuel costs doubled, insurance costs dowbled etc.) - and the Polo GTI+ is a veritable bargain against a Golf GTI.

Marginally less performance, equal build quality and pretty much equivalent levels of equipment. I will miss that unflappable R traction but not the worst manual box that has ever been fitted to a car that I have bought new.

Some poor bastards who ordered last Jan are only just getting build weeks for their Polo GTIs in Jan 19 now, plus the 5 week shipping from South Africa and 2 weeks between docking in Emden, shipping to the UK and delivery to the dealership - a near 14 month wait! Hopefully Polo no2 won't be a 14 month wait for me.

« Last Edit: 06 December 2018, 22:44 by monkeyhanger »

Offline Redalltrack

• Just got here
« Reply #35 on: 06 December 2018, 22:43 »
A bit late in the thread. As a private owner and in view of the current climate re fuel choice, I have unfortunately decided i needed to change from a nice dsg diesel to a petrol dsg golf. So i have test driven some hi spec petrol golfs within my budget. The choice for me narrowed down to the mk 7 golf r vs mk 7.5 golf gti. I came away with mixed feelings. Both excellent cars. My head said gti but heart said r. I could not live with the cheap looking digital display and more extrovert interior and exterior looking gti. Even if you discount the devastating performance of the r and the associated marginal increased running costs, the r just felt more comfortable and grounded and has the benefit of subtler looks. Very subjective but my vote is for an r.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2018, 23:01 by Redalltrack »

Offline Redalltrack

• Just got here
« Reply #36 on: 06 December 2018, 22:47 »
PS
Dsg transmission

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 06 December 2018, 23:41 »

......I like to drive my R and Polo GTI+ equally ........The R will be traded in against another Polo GTI+ ......and the Polo GTI+ .....

What's a Polo GTI+?
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 07 December 2018, 00:57 »

......I like to drive my R and Polo GTI+ equally ........The R will be traded in against another Polo GTI+ ......and the Polo GTI+ .....

What's a Polo GTI+?

I think the Polo GTI+ might be specific to the UK market, so you won’t get it in Australia. Its mechanically identical to the GTI, but it gets approx £2,800 extra equipment over the standard GTI, but the list price differential between the GTI and GTI+ is only approx £1,600.

So the Polo GTI+ represents good value compared to the standard Polo GTI.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #39 on: 07 December 2018, 01:52 »

What's a Polo GTI+?

I think the Polo GTI+ might be specific to the UK market, so you won’t get it in Australia. Its mechanically identical to the GTI, but it gets approx £2,800 extra equipment over the standard GTI, but the list price differential between the GTI and GTI+ is only approx £1,600.

So the Polo GTI+ represents good value compared to the standard Polo GTI.

Thanks for that.  Yes, that sounds cracking value.  Good friends of mine have just bought a top-spec (in Aus) Polo GTI - I'm looking forward to their assessment.  The combination of Golf GTI-like performance and refinement in a slightly smaller, more involving package is very tempting.  And may well be my next new car.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.