Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 171084 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #660 on: 20 January 2020, 20:25 »
300hp from the TCR and 328 from an R. I'm sure articles have said the GTi and TCR outputs weren't going to change from the current models.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #661 on: 20 January 2020, 20:33 »
Articles in wrong shocker.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #662 on: 20 January 2020, 21:15 »
Articles in wrong shocker.
😂😂👍

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #663 on: 21 January 2020, 07:39 »
Anyone seen this one currently doing the rounds?
No idea whether it’s genuine or not but is supposedly the performance Golf outputs

The pic of the power outputs also suggests how the Golf R and TCR might look, albeit with small thumbnails.  But it is interesting to see they don't have the Kia style front fogs and instead they have the usually larger air intakes. 

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #664 on: 21 January 2020, 07:46 »
I thought those Kia fogs were locked in and publicly announced?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #665 on: 21 January 2020, 09:06 »
As expected not the gaudy the lifts in power to 300 BHP for standard GTI and 400 BHP for the R that were circulated for clicks then and no surprise at all for those of us who thought extremely unlikely.

The style change is subjective and the power lifts aside from the R maybe, are negligible, so unless you really like the new tech the MK 8 is not offering anything drive and looks wise over the MK 7 series.

Be interesting to see if the Akrapovic is standard on the TCR as my thoughts was that was a sales killer, which was not really tested as the MK 7 ran out of life regardless.

But if the Akrapovic is standard it would take it beyond an R in cost and only the real enthusiast would pay the additional ££ and swap the AWD for an exhaust. (IMO) So the TCR still might be a rare beast based on cost alone.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #666 on: 21 January 2020, 10:16 »
I think the Mk8 will be like the 7.5 to the 7 is.

People with a 7 say "the things they changed in the 7.5 are yuk, I hate them". Then when one of those people drive a 7.5 with the digital dash they say "actually its really good and I don't know what I was talking about before"

I think the tech on the 8 will be like that - same drive, nicer place to be.

My main concern if i was trying to buy one though would be the price - these are going to be busting the 40k mark and even with discounts I think these are likely to be easily 5k more than a discounted Mk7.5 from 3 years before. 5k is a lot to pay for basically the same car with some new screens...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #667 on: 21 January 2020, 12:04 »
It should drive slightly differently. VW have changed or updated the steering rack on the 8. Certainly from a few videos on YouTube etc people are saying the drive is excellent.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #668 on: 21 January 2020, 13:00 »
I think the Mk8 will be like the 7.5 to the 7 is.

People with a 7 say "the things they changed in the 7.5 are yuk, I hate them". Then when one of those people drive a 7.5 with the digital dash they say "actually its really good and I don't know what I was talking about before"

I think the tech on the 8 will be like that - same drive, nicer place to be.

My main concern if i was trying to buy one though would be the price - these are going to be busting the 40k mark and even with discounts I think these are likely to be easily 5k more than a discounted Mk7.5 from 3 years before. 5k is a lot to pay for basically the same car with some new screens...

You can count me as one of those folk as was very much the analogue dial guy, but do really like the digital dash,

Also appreciate the new media screens in being glass as the clarity is excellent but have found myself not really being sure where placing finger on the touch screen and definitely have to look what selecting opposed to feeling the switch - Be interesting to see how everyone gets on with an all touch environment as cannot see how you can avoid looking less at the road as make adjustments.

Also, love the DSG lever, there is a real satisfying action as move from Sport to Drive and to Manual, - moving a little lever with thumb??

There is good discounts on the MK 7.5 and know mcdaddy has utilised the 0% interest on top of that, so the TCR for example is justifiable, but the MK 8 will likely get a price lift and may stlll be over that £40k even with a deal?

I get that some say the drive is even more improved, but given the MK 7 series is so good its hardly like its transformation.

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #669 on: 21 January 2020, 13:19 »
and for us private buyers, if it breaks the £40k barrier then we have the massively increased road fund licence to deal with for the 1st 5 years as well.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras