Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 170943 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #630 on: 16 January 2020, 11:58 »
I've heard that March is when they will announce the GTI, but god knows when ordering opens.

Production of the Mk8 in any form doesn't actually begin at all until after August from what it seems.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Maurizie

• Just got here
« Reply #631 on: 16 January 2020, 12:04 »

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #632 on: 16 January 2020, 12:17 »
Nope Golf Mk8 production is in full swing as German dealers have them on the floor...

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/volkswagen-golf-8-style-1-5-tsi-opf-first-edition-navi-ssd-gasoline-grey-12d5e991-9820-4997-886f-29661e78aade?cldtidx=20

So a March preview could mean orders open June UK with delivery by October....

Dave
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #633 on: 16 January 2020, 12:44 »
If anything like the production and delivery timescales of the MK7 when it was released and there after.  Apart from the shorter timescales a lucky few experienced (probably due to their locale) I would expect to wait upto 5 - 7+ months from order being placed, for a Golf GTI or R to be built and delivered to the dealer. So if books open around June, it would be End of the year or start of 2021 (worst case scenario) before most will pick up their cars. 

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #634 on: 16 January 2020, 12:56 »
Yeah I can't see any UK Mk8 GTI's being on the streets before December at the earliest.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #635 on: 16 January 2020, 13:30 »
The GTE that have seen and the renders of the GTI have you think the exterior on the performance is going to look ok, to good and desirable depending on your view, (Avoiding those KIA style fog lights would be advised!) but cannot think anyone likes that interior both aesthetically and more so functionally, truly think VW have dropped the ball and its a step backwards, a dangerous one and that assertion comes from having to use a touch screen more in my MK 7.5 - it definitely distracts you from the road as search the function. 

Given how good and accepted the MK 7 series is as a drivers car, no matter the improvements the that have been mooted on the MK 8 MQB etc, doubt the real world experience will really feel much different.

It also seems like there will be power increases on the GTI and R, but again not to point that changes your on road experience? I barely get near to tapping into the potential of mine.

As follow the MK 8 Journey and understand more what to expect my thinking just keeps coming back to, that if in the market, go bag yourself a MK 7 bargain!!

Holding final judgement to Geneva and the first round of test reviews on looks and the ride, but think the cockpit function is fully transparent now, and hard to get past that as a reason to not want the MK 8 and look at other options, like the BMW 135i 
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #636 on: 16 January 2020, 14:07 »
Seems like power on the gtis is the same as what's on offer now unless VW are sandbagging everyone and release power hikes at launch. Some pictures of the mk8 look ok but others just look crap.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #637 on: 16 January 2020, 14:46 »
I guess to some degree VW don't need to actually hit the mark.... Mk4 and Mk6 GTI's sold just fine, despite them being not well viewed in the history of the Golf vs the Mk5 and the Mk7.

I'll bet at the time they still topped someone's chart of desirable cars...

I think the Mk8 will be a winner, simply because the competition won't pass them...

I'm the first to say that the M135i is a very good copy of the Mk7.5 R. Very good. But shouldn't it be better than a car that's ended production just as the M135i launches?

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #638 on: 16 January 2020, 14:55 »
For the 1 Series in general, I think BMW have just addressed the negative points of the previous model, ie lack of room. Then added a 'modern' cockpit and that is more or less it. I don't think they have even tried to compete with the Golf. For BMW, the big seller is the 3 Series and that's where their effort appears to go.

Same with Mercedes - the A Class is just an entry model, possibly made to a budget and so delivers a decent profit. The sweet spot for Mercedes is the E Class.

In addition, BMW/Merc also seem to be expanding/pushing their SUV offerings (and variations thereof) as well. Medium hatches maybe not their highest priority.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #639 on: 16 January 2020, 15:16 »
I don't think they (BMW) have even tried to compete with the Golf.

For someone not copying, they have done a bang up job. Its external and interior dimensions are identical virtually. Its kit list, neigh on the same - the only two things I can think of are HUD (which I think the Mk8 will offer) and wireless charging/carplay/AA (which the mk8 definitely does have).