Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 171506 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #600 on: 13 December 2019, 07:51 »
World's first bagged MK8....oh dear....

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #601 on: 13 December 2019, 08:06 »
Playing a dangerous game there - sunroof open in the rain.

That's lowered way too far. Side profile looks like an A-class and everything forward of the windscreen looks too slender next to the proportions of the rest of the car. Really not a fan.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #602 on: 13 December 2019, 08:08 »
oh dear God..... even if that isn't real it says a lot when you can't make that front end look good even with photoshop!! :grin:

I've got at least a couple of years left with my wonderful 7.5 GTI performance but after that I honestly don't know what I'll do next time around..... don't like the Merc at all and the new 1 isn't exactly a looker but still better than the mk8, gutted!! The M135i really has started to show on my radar now! :shocked:
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #603 on: 13 December 2019, 09:05 »
Not quite sure why but that photo looks like one of those badly drawn cartoony pictures of some Halfords special you see for sale at car shows...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #604 on: 13 December 2019, 13:08 »
The MK 7 GTI light units looked a little awkward with the red stripe, but VW completely nailed the MK 7.5 lights by moving from the single to the twin DRL with the red stripes running parallel with the DRL - The front end on the MK 7.5 now looks so much sharper due to this improved headlight unit and fitting for a performance model

And from that leap forward you now have the MK 8 light unit, which as impressive as the tech is, looks truly awful, zero presence.

The rear looks fine, and sure with the performance add on will look pretty good but there is nothing you can add on that will improve the presence of them lights.

Having seen a few in depth reviews now, really hate the new touch interior, where you slide to turn temperature up and down, and have to dab with two fingers to bring up the heated seat option - In my present MK 7 you have to glance to where touching, for example the radio button, and where often select the phone menu as one of my other fingers inadvertently lean on the phone 'button'

Can see these interiors being the cause of accidents as the require you to look more than do already to ensure operating the right functionality

And that DSG button thing, yuk!!

There is nothing in the MK 8 that wish for, and so happy jumped into one of the last MK 7, and definitely see myself now driving older cars from this point.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #605 on: 13 December 2019, 14:00 »
I'm sort of the same. True we haven't seen the MK8 performance models actually in the flesh but as Hertsman said, even if they put some red light accents in the lights and aggressive body parts on, it still won't change the front end much and that "look". Totally agree as well about the move to touch buttons - a retro step in my view. For me, at present no matter how good the MK8 technically is (and I'm sure it's great), I currently much prefer my MK7.5 GTI.

I've been lucky in my driving history to run or own a MK1, MK2, MK5, MK7 & MK7.5 performance Golf models (either GTI's or GTD's), but I'm pretty sure the MK8 will pass me by. I still have a good amount of time with the current MK7.5 to change my mind over the next 18 months or so, but at this point, if I had to make a decision today, it would be either keep my current MK7.5 (as it's brilliant), or the new BMW M135i
« Last Edit: 13 December 2019, 14:02 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #606 on: 17 December 2019, 12:52 »
Playing a dangerous game there - sunroof open in the rain.

That's lowered way too far. Side profile looks like an A-class and everything forward of the windscreen looks too slender next to the proportions of the rest of the car. Really not a fan.

This comes up EVERY time a bagged car is mentioned. It is on air bags, it doesn't drive like that.

Also, there's no way water will get in the sunroof in rain like we get here. It'd take something torrential to get water inside when it is open in that way

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #607 on: 19 December 2019, 06:01 »

New Gti from Autocar. I suspect this’ll be pretty close to the mark.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #608 on: 19 December 2019, 09:11 »
The light up grill isn't to my taste at all  :sick:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Toppy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #609 on: 19 December 2019, 09:21 »
I don’t think the front looks to bad but hopefully you can turn that light off  :grin:
Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.