Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 170847 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #540 on: 22 November 2019, 22:03 »
New Octavia looks pretty good and the interior is very nice. Easily on par with the Mk8, almost perhaps higher quality and they have retained some buttons. Even got the gas struts for the bonnet!  :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9drdTfkhhY

Looking at the picture of the mk8 Golf’s infotainment screen, my eyes might be deceiving me but is that a row of very slim buttons below the screen - outer buttons to change cabin temperature and and inner buttons for media volume? Hopefully they are buttons, meaning the Golf might also have retained some buttons instead of going completely touch screen.

« Last Edit: 22 November 2019, 22:14 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #541 on: 22 November 2019, 23:48 »
I was fortunate enough to have a closer look at the Mk8 on a recent trip to Germany. They're not proper buttons under the screen, they're still just touch sensitive patches. At least not on the version i sat in. They're quite small, so i imagine they'll be quite fiddly to operate on the move, especially if you have fat fingers. But i believe there's more than one version of the centre screen. It's possible some of the lower spec screens have proper buttons.

7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #542 on: 23 November 2019, 12:06 »
I was fortunate enough to have a closer look at the Mk8 on a recent trip to Germany.

Did I miss your mini review here somewhere?  :shocked:
Tell us more!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #543 on: 23 November 2019, 15:39 »
Do any of the buttons have haptic feedback?
'18 245PP DSG

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #544 on: 23 November 2019, 15:56 »
I was fortunate enough to have a closer look at the Mk8 on a recent trip to Germany.

Did I miss your mini review here somewhere?  :shocked:
Tell us more!

:grin:
No you've not missed it. There's not much to tell really that most won't already have seen or read about on tinterweb. I only had about 5 minutes or so to look around the car, adjust the drivers seat etc. To be fair, tech and styling aside, in the usual Golf fashion it doesn't seem much different to me to the Mk7. Driving position is much the same, doesn't seem any bigger or smaller. Doors close much the same, interior finish may be marginally better but still built to a price. And it was in the same dubious shade of sickly yellowy green as the press launch cars.

It's nice, and looks better in the metal than it does in photos. I'd have one, but maybe not just yet as the tech alone isn't enough of a reason for me to rush out and put my name down when the order books open. I'd also want to see what the Octavia and Leon offer, and whether the tech in those is less of a drastic change and therefore easier for me to get used to.

They also had an ID3 on display which I also liked. Except for the drum brakes on the rear, and the arm rests look like they belong on an office chair   :undecided:

Few more photos for anyone that's interested

7.5 GTD

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #545 on: 23 November 2019, 16:00 »
Do any of the buttons have haptic feedback?

Sorry, no don't think so. Unless you have to go into the menus to switch it on.  :undecided:
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #546 on: 23 November 2019, 23:16 »
Thanks for posting your initial impressions and thoughts (plus photos) Guzzle. :afro:
A few paragraphs from yourself, even from a very short time with the car, gives a far better real world insight than umpteen press releases and snippets from journalists.

It’s a relief the car looks better in the metal even allowing for the lurid paint!

The ID.3 sounds a curious thing too. I look forward to seeing one in the flesh myself, not that I’d be in the market for one, merely an interest in the technology and packaging.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Andy198

• Not said much yet
« Reply #547 on: 26 November 2019, 19:06 »
Some pictures of (apparently) a Mk8 GTI here undergoing Arctic testing
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/an-eighth-gen-vw-golf-gti-has-been-caught-on-camera-an-its-barely-disguised/

I still don't like the front but it definitely looks better in GTI form.
GTI PP Mk7.5 with DCC, Sunroof, Brescias / BBS SR & 90% Tints

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #548 on: 26 November 2019, 19:41 »
Looks like a polo.

It’s a no for me at the moment and those wheels are honking.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #549 on: 27 November 2019, 09:35 »
Some pictures of (apparently) a Mk8 GTI here undergoing Arctic testing
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/an-eighth-gen-vw-golf-gti-has-been-caught-on-camera-an-its-barely-disguised/

I still don't like the front but it definitely looks better in GTI form.

That's got some great camouflage on to make it hard to tell what the details are.  Fake reverse lights, fake fog lights and extra headlights.

Sure those will be winter testing wheels. They aren't diamond finish so can't be the actual wheels!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey