Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 169268 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #490 on: 25 October 2019, 17:32 »
However, how long will they keep these features in play? Imagine the Mk9 coming out and suddenly your headlights don't work to how they used to

Its a problem with cloud based software  - you can buy it but if they decide to shut it down...

I'm sure the car comes with a massive legal text about availability - its probably already there for the carnet stuff if you read it carefully. "Provided until its not provided"
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #491 on: 25 October 2019, 18:42 »
Then there is the other angle to look at, if everything is already installed on the car but you have to pay extra to enable the software to use it.  Then there will be some bright spark out there somewhere who could produce a hack for the software so you could upgrade and use the extra features for free.  It is completely possible to have cloud based software which relies on the cloud to be hacked and then redirect the software feature license so VW are none the wiser.  VW may have to ensure their security encryption for the software is water tight if they expect everyone to pay to enable the features.  Also if there is more features on the car relying on cloud based software, it may become easier for criminals to mess with and/or steal your car.   

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #492 on: 25 October 2019, 19:22 »
I think short of an attack on the vw servers themselves, you aren't going to be able to self enable anything... Whether you are clever or not. It's not looking like a one time enable on the car, but the thing phoning home each time.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #493 on: 25 October 2019, 19:48 »
I have already seen software which is cloud based and suppose to call home each time, redirected to a fake server pretending to be the original server and the software carried on working fine as if it was calling home each time.  It is possible to do should anyone want to take the chance.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #494 on: 25 October 2019, 20:39 »
I think you’re getting a bit ahead of yourselves guys.  :rolleyes:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #495 on: 25 October 2019, 20:57 »
I think short of an attack on the vw servers themselves, you aren't going to be able to self enable anything... Whether you are clever or not. It's not looking like a one time enable on the car, but the thing phoning home each time.

This. Think all the streaming music services you use. And Tesla.
TCR 3 door

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #496 on: 25 October 2019, 21:00 »
Being able to purchase extras at some point down the line could possibly be a useful way of avoiding The £40k luxury VED band for those that are borderline. Just a thought  :wink:
7.5 GTD

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #497 on: 25 October 2019, 21:44 »
Being able to purchase extras at some point down the line could possibly be a useful way of avoiding The £40k luxury VED band for those that are borderline. Just a thought  :wink:

And there I am wishing that the option boxes I ticked were downloadable  :smiley:

First on the forum to fess up to having a GTI in the luxo VED bracket?
TCR 3 door

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #498 on: 25 October 2019, 22:13 »

And there I am wishing that the option boxes I ticked were downloadable  :smiley:

First on the forum to fess up to having a GTI in the luxo VED bracket?

Doesn’t take much to get a TCR over £40k with the recent price increase. Think just adding 19s does it now.

Would be a bit harder with a GTI Performance unless you get very carried away! They are so good in just standard spec it seems daft anyway.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #499 on: 26 October 2019, 06:32 »

Didn’t know the strip at the front was an actual working light.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.