Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 169262 times)

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #480 on: 25 October 2019, 15:02 »
Could the lack of gas struts under the bonnet be because that car is pre production for media shoots?
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline TonyJ

• Not said much yet
« Reply #481 on: 25 October 2019, 15:41 »
My take on it is this ....

Why don't they show the performance models as well during the launch? Surely VW have built prototypes etc. at the very least. I realise they need to scale up production, and might not actually want to launch these models for sale yet, but i would guess that the vast majority of people who are interested in the launch are MOST interested in the performance models (including everyone on this forum !) I cannot see that average Joe Public who buys a 1.4 SE model is going to log in to see the webcast ! Everyone knows there will be a GTi and an R (hopefully GTD too...) so why not show them?
Current - Golf GTD Mk8
Previous - T-Roc R
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7.5
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #482 on: 25 October 2019, 15:45 »
Looks like the standard GTi will also be seriously lacking in power with only 235ps which is disappointing.

I want to really to like the Mk8 and think the performance versions will certainly be better.

But I'm not sure it would be next car.

That’s a bit disappointing, early rumours suggested 250 hp ish.

:sad:

I read the standard GTi will be 235ps, a GTI Cup will be 290ps and then R will still be around 330ps.

Later on the company will introduce an assortment of other models.  A GTI variant is due next year with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine producing 232 hp (173 kW / 235 PS).  It will reportedly be followed by a Golf GTI Cup with 286 hp (213 kW / 290 PS) and a Golf R with 325 hp (245 kW / 330 PS).

This could make the mk8 GTE worth a look when I do change my GTi.
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #483 on: 25 October 2019, 16:06 »
Just been reading on here: https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/4350/2020-volkswagen-golf-mark-8-revealed

"Once you get your new Golf, you’ll be able to upgrade it remotely online for the first time. This means that you can pay to download certain fancy extras, such as adaptive cruise control, at any time, and won’t miss out if you initially didn’t buy the car with all the bells and whistles you wanted."

Now then... this means the MK8 Golf has all these extras built-in, but you have to pay extra to use them? Can see where this is heading in the future, rather like most software/TV/App packages, we will have to pay a monthly subscription to have 'extra' features on cars. Guess it's already happening with various Sat Nav/Connect packages, but this is going quite a bit further.

Imagine having a sunroof, but it won't open unless you pay a nominal fee every month!!!!! :shocked:
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #484 on: 25 October 2019, 16:17 »

Why don't they show the performance models as well during the launch? Surely VW have built prototypes etc. at the very least. I realise they need to scale up production, and might not actually want to launch these models for sale yet, but i would guess that the vast majority of people who are interested in the launch are MOST interested in the performance models (including everyone on this forum !) I cannot see that average Joe Public who buys a 1.4 SE model is going to log in to see the webcast ! Everyone knows there will be a GTi and an R (hopefully GTD too...) so why not show them?

When the current Polo range was launched at the end of 2017, the Polo GTI was shown at the same Official launch, and the GTI became available to order in the UK in Jan/Feb 2018, so just 3-4 months after the official launch. I don’t think we’ve ever seen these timescales for the performance Golfs with previous launches of the Golf though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #485 on: 25 October 2019, 16:21 »
Looks like the standard GTi will also be seriously lacking in power with only 235ps which is disappointing.

I want to really to like the Mk8 and think the performance versions will certainly be better.

But I'm not sure it would be next car.

That’s a bit disappointing, early rumours suggested 250 hp ish.

:sad:

I read the standard GTi will be 235ps, a GTI Cup will be 290ps and then R will still be around 330ps.

Later on the company will introduce an assortment of other models.  A GTI variant is due next year with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine producing 232 hp (173 kW / 235 PS).  It will reportedly be followed by a Golf GTI Cup with 286 hp (213 kW / 290 PS) and a Golf R with 325 hp (245 kW / 330 PS).

This could make the mk8 GTE worth a look when I do change my GTi.

Abso-pigging-lutely. I probably won't go for another Golf in any guise next, been there, done that. (Yeah, so I don't really know why I'm following the thread). But I initially wanted a GTE before I got my GTI. I think if the power output was the same, it would have been a no brainer. Make the GTE a proper hybrid GTI, not some gimped one in disguise.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #486 on: 25 October 2019, 16:24 »
Just been reading on here: https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/4350/2020-volkswagen-golf-mark-8-revealed

"Once you get your new Golf, you’ll be able to upgrade it remotely online for the first time. This means that you can pay to download certain fancy extras, such as adaptive cruise control, at any time, and won’t miss out if you initially didn’t buy the car with all the bells and whistles you wanted."

"Any of the upgrades you do buy will be remembered by Volkswagen’s cloud service."

I wonder.... are those cloud accounts for the car... or the user...

Transferable to a second hand purchaser? Maybe not!

I also assume that on start up, the feature set is checked... so if their system is down like CarNet is every five minutes, you've got no ACC...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #487 on: 25 October 2019, 16:35 »

Keeps the interest going and keeps the model range in the news (mags, vlogs etc)
VW treat the Golf GTI and R as sub-marques so it makes sense to drip feed models into the market.

The GTE was in the launch video, that’s 99% GTI in looks with the chicken wire grille etc.
That’s a hint at the performance model styling.

Now then... this means the MK8 Golf has all these extras built-in, but you have to pay extra to use them? Can see where this is heading in the future, rather like most software/TV/App packages, we will have to pay a monthly subscription to have 'extra' features on cars. Guess it's already happening with various Sat Nav/Connect packages, but this is going quite a bit further.

Imagine having a sunroof, but it won't open unless you pay a nominal fee every month!!!!! :shocked:

Cheaper to produce cars with one generic control module and hardware.
Then lifetime subscription charges.
They’ll bring this in across all the ranges gradually.
Car manufacturers have learned lots from the smart phone revolution.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #488 on: 25 October 2019, 16:59 »
Whilst I have seen things like map updates charged for before and BMW charge you 80 quid a year for carplay, the idea that things like ACC or matrix headlights might be disabled for a subsequent purchaser is probably new ground...

"As a Service" monthly subscriptions isn't something I want to see my car become really, but once one does it they all will.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #489 on: 25 October 2019, 17:03 »
Whilst I have seen things like map updates charged for before and BMW charge you 80 quid a year for carplay, the idea that things like ACC or matrix headlights might be disabled for a subsequent purchaser is probably new ground...

"As a Service" monthly subscriptions isn't something I want to see my car become really, but once one does it they all will.

Playing devil's advocate, it does mean it'll be a lot easier to buy second-hand.

However, how long will they keep these features in play? Imagine the Mk9 coming out and suddenly your headlights don't work to how they used to