Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 171302 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #410 on: 14 October 2019, 15:53 »
There are only two directions with cars these days:

1) reduce emissions - either with cleaner/smaller ICE or electric
2) improve automation - which will be achieved in tippy tiny steps not one big leap. It starts with software able to control every aspect of your vehicle (not far off in a Mk7.5) and ends with a full connected vehicle that can "talk" to everything else around it (roads, other vehicles and more). At that point it can literally drive itself.

If neither of these things excite you, I have some bad news for you...

Faster n'burg laptimes? Sure, but probably not at the 40k price tag.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #411 on: 14 October 2019, 16:26 »
There are only two directions with cars these days:

1) reduce emissions - either with cleaner/smaller ICE or electric
2) improve automation - which will be achieved in tippy tiny steps not one big leap. It starts with software able to control every aspect of your vehicle (not far off in a Mk7.5) and ends with a full connected vehicle that can "talk" to everything else around it (roads, other vehicles and more). At that point it can literally drive itself.

If neither of these things excite you, I have some bad news for you...

Faster n'burg laptimes? Sure, but probably not at the 40k price tag.

Or do what my mate has just done. Buy an old car that you have to actually drive  :grin: (a 993 C4S)
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #412 on: 14 October 2019, 16:45 »
Or do what my mate has just done. Buy an old car that you have to actually drive  :grin: (a 993 C4S)

Yeah old cars probably.

I've had a few over the years, but my "fun" is limited these days to happening across some twistys while driving for work. I don't have time for a play thing.... or a car ;-)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #413 on: 14 October 2019, 18:41 »

Yeah old cars probably.

I've had a few over the years, but my "fun" is limited these days to happening across some twistys while driving for work. I don't have time for a play thing.... or a car ;-)

Mini Cooper JCW (proper smaller one not BMW in disguise bigger ones), still a hoot to drive (actually drive!), very quick in the real world, built well, sounds good, handles great, has factory warranty and can be specced with adaptive suspension, HUD etc to keep creature comforts and still well under £30k with discounts with decent spec (hold value well too).
Kinda the direction I’m leaning in.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #414 on: 14 October 2019, 19:07 »
I've driven a few of those... Not my cup of tea. Something about the inside being a triumph of design over function. Being "mini" is more important than anything else to them, which is a shame. They do heavily discount though and if that's what you want then you probably do well.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #415 on: 15 October 2019, 09:57 »

This looks more like it, it’s going to look good with a DSG stick, tartan seats and a GTI steering wheel. :whistle:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #417 on: 15 October 2019, 12:48 »

This looks more like it, it’s going to look good with a DSG stick, tartan seats and a GTI steering wheel. :whistle:

Chrome window trims? Why oh why?  :sick:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CLKDQOfauqU/XaVCBbgxE4I/AAAAAAAAYMo/LrJ-dNT68hkRywW4sTSII5IpNFaYQZyAQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Novo-VW-Golf-8%2B%25286%2529.jpg

A face only a mother could love.

Good finds both :afro:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #418 on: 15 October 2019, 12:57 »

Chrome window trims? Why oh why?  :sick:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CLKDQOfauqU/XaVCBbgxE4I/AAAAAAAAYMo/LrJ-dNT68hkRywW4sTSII5IpNFaYQZyAQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Novo-VW-Golf-8%2B%25286%2529.jpg

A face only a mother could love.

Good finds both :afro:

No doubt an SE model. There is no need I'm sure but maybe the older buyer like the chrome still?

It's certainly not a looker in boggo spec!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #419 on: 15 October 2019, 13:54 »
I think the MK 8 are going to be a success,

The standard Golfs now are more than a little plain and yuk, but they obviously beef up pretty well when they morph into the performance versions.

Having seen the Touraeg screens in person and the way they sweep across your view, which think the MK 8 emulates then the cabin is going to still be a nice place to be and I think the sweeping screens are better than say the MB A Series extended screen that looks a little bolted on.

Personally cannot see much downside, there will be evolution in drive and BHP and thats evolution off what is accepted as something pretty good in the MK 7 series that even new contenders have not bettered and the interior will be an improved one - more tech might not be for some, I was a bit anti, but having just lived with the TCR virtual display for a few days, I am already converted and if its anyway like the Touraeg that saw, its an impressive layout.

Real judgement can only come when see the performance models in their beefed up form, but personally think VW will slam dunk as the competition falter with their latest outings.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC