Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 169161 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #390 on: 11 October 2019, 09:24 »
That said, one of the most modern interiors right now is the Tesla Model 3 and that really does have a screen stuck onto the dash!

Yeah, and it has windscreen wipers controlled by a touchscreen.

Seriously, the sooner we get away from this crap, the better. Don't mind the Mk7.5 touchscreen as the key functions all have button/dial alternatives. Touchscreens in cars, in general, suck.

I agree and BMW in the new 1 series have kept the twiddly dial thing which is a much better solution.

They also have kept actual switches for the heating controls, something which VW will not have done (or at least not on performance Golfs)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #391 on: 11 October 2019, 09:29 »

That said, one of the most modern interiors right now is the Tesla Model 3 and that really does have a screen stuck onto the dash!

Yeah, and it has windscreen wipers controlled by a touchscreen.

Seriously, the sooner we get away from this crap, the better. Don't mind the Mk7.5 touchscreen as the key functions all have button/dial alternatives. Touchscreens in cars, in general, suck.

That's not strictly true - you can use the end of the stalk as well! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rr_XzzJ6gc

But do agree, touchscreens are more of a distraction yet manufacturers seem intent on making them feature on every new model. Before my first Mk7.5 I had a new shape C Class for 2 years and before that a 1 Series and both had media and controls that were incredibly easy to use on the move with the wheel controller.

I've got more used to the touchscreen now but they are certainly harder to use, especially when mounted further away.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #392 on: 11 October 2019, 10:58 »
I fail to see how it can be dangerous to use a mobile phone when driving and not dangerous (according to the law) to use a touch screen system.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #393 on: 11 October 2019, 11:09 »
In the past a lot of accidents were blamed on drivers tuning radios or inserting cassettes... Absolutely anything that diverts your attention increases the risk of a collision. Anything.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #394 on: 11 October 2019, 11:25 »
And it's much safer now to get distracted as you have the brake assist function and adaptive cruise!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #395 on: 11 October 2019, 11:31 »
And yet we seem to be getting more hi tec, more 'touch screen'. Jump into any latest Volvo - you have to faff about with the touch screen to change the temp. Something I fiddle with a lot...

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #396 on: 11 October 2019, 11:34 »
I actually find the temp thing good, set it to Auto and hardly ever touch it - 20.5 both sides seems to suit me most of the year!
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #397 on: 11 October 2019, 11:49 »
I miss my old Astra c.1989, where you could have hot air around your feet and cold air in your face. I've been told that is no longer 'technically possible'!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #398 on: 11 October 2019, 12:33 »
I miss my old Astra c.1989, where you could have hot air around your feet and cold air in your face. I've been told that is no longer 'technically possible'!
are you sure that wasn't just a design fault from Vauxhall 😂😂
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #399 on: 11 October 2019, 12:50 »
And yet we seem to be getting more hi tec, more 'touch screen'. Jump into any latest Volvo - you have to faff about with the touch screen to change the temp. Something I fiddle with a lot...

As I said earlier, the Mk8 Golf will bring that to the party too...

The BMW 1 series still has switches.... but you can also control the heating with voice control!