Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 171147 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #350 on: 19 September 2019, 08:31 »
Is that really what the MK8 looks like? I couldn't spend my hard earned on that :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #351 on: 19 September 2019, 08:40 »
Reminds me of the first Malaysian efforts that were based on redundant platforms from main manufacturers - You see some KIA, Hyundai now that genuinely look good and its really only the badge itself you find to be the put off - I know SEAT is part of the VAG family but some of them look pretty good now also.

If the above is the final vanilla version then its pretty awful - sure the performance models will look improved as get beefed up with the performance bits and pieces, wheels etc, so you really have to see them to make true judgement but its not looking good
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #352 on: 19 September 2019, 09:00 »
Reminds me of the first Malaysian efforts that were based on redundant platforms from main manufacturers - You see some KIA, Hyundai now that genuinely look good and its really only the badge itself you find to be the put off - I know SEAT is part of the VAG family but some of them look pretty good now also.

If the above is the final vanilla version then its pretty awful - sure the performance models will look improved as get beefed up with the performance bits and pieces, wheels etc, so you really have to see them to make true judgement but its not looking good

Agree, some of the Malaysian / South Korean brands produce some good looking cars, and if they’re not doing so already, it won’t be long before they’re snapping at the heels of the large German manufacturers in terms of build quality and driveability. I seem to remember reading that they’ve also been successful in head hunting some of the top brass in design and engineering from the likes of BMW and that’s beginning to be reflected in their cars. For me, it’s not the badge on brands like Kia or Hyundai that puts me off buying one - it’s the potential very heavy depreciation.

That silver mk8 still has some of the details masked off around the headlights and tail lights, although removing that isn’t going to change the looks significantly. And what is it with those wheels :shocked: - not a nice design IMO.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #353 on: 19 September 2019, 09:06 »
And what is it with those wheels :shocked: - not a nice design IMO.

The wheels are the least of my worries, 5 bolts and they're gone. It's what they're bolted to...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #354 on: 19 September 2019, 09:17 »
I've said it before and I'll say it again....

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #355 on: 19 September 2019, 09:20 »
And what is it with those wheels :shocked: - not a nice design IMO.

The wheels are the least of my worries, 5 bolts and they're gone. It's what they're bolted to...

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Imagine the GTI and R might look a lot better but the basis for the car is the shape and its just not that good. With the success of the Mk7/7.5 in terms of sales, I'm very surprised they have made such significant changes but guess its all to meet the latest regs etc to make it safer for pedestrians. I find if they stick to pavemennts and cars stick to the road then there is much less chance of running one over.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Online mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #356 on: 19 September 2019, 09:21 »
People need to calm down a bit. That's the gte and the base model by all accounts. The GTi and R will look much better. The base models of the mk7 looked a bit  :sick:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #357 on: 19 September 2019, 09:55 »
The Mk8 reminds me of the Mk6 design (transition) over the positive reception of the Mk5.

Have they asked Toyota or Kia to help with the design?

On a positive note looking back at the Mk5 >6....... maybe the Mk9 will be a return to form? :)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #358 on: 19 September 2019, 10:42 »
The Mk8 reminds me of the Mk6 design (transition) over the positive reception of the Mk5.

Have they asked Toyota or Kia to help with the design?

On a positive note looking back at the Mk5 >6....... maybe the Mk9 will be a return to form? :)

It does have the whiff of a Toyota Corolla makeover about it. Loved the MK5, couldn't stand the MK6 - I had 2 Sciroccos over the reign of the MK6 instead.

That MK8 looks ungainly, like they made it bigger to differentiate from the new bigger Polo, without sorting out the proportions. The front end doesn't look like it belongs to the rest of the car.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #359 on: 19 September 2019, 11:11 »
People need to calm down a bit. That's the gte and the base model by all accounts. The GTi and R will look much better. The base models of the mk7 looked a bit  :sick:

Completely agree. I'll make my judgement when I see the finished car. Hardly anyone on here has a non-Performance Golf anyway.
7.5 GTD