Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 170897 times)

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #170 on: 27 April 2019, 03:29 »
The i30N performance has the adaptive dampers on it and i must say it felt a lot more study 6 than the golf with dcc.

Pardon?  :smiley: 

Apparently the i30n hatch will adopt the fastback's slightly softer suspension tune at the next facelift (2020, from memory).  May well be a good alternative for those of us alienated by the mk8 Golf's move to technology overkill.  I'll probably end up keeping my 7.5 long term, or alternatively consider the i30n.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #171 on: 27 April 2019, 08:24 »
With softer suspension the i30N will be a great car. Just don’t sit in one then a golf straight after. It’s better inside than I thought it’d be but not a patch on the Gti/R. Unless the Mk8 is a disaster of course.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #172 on: 27 April 2019, 08:38 »
Most of the switches look exactly the same in the i30N as they do in the golf. I wouldn't say the suspension is softer either (it was the fastback I test drove). You don't get any suspension knocking over bumps and ruts and it just feels a well built car. The biggest issue for me is mpg. Bumped into a chap at a petrol station who had one and got talking to him about his i30N. He said on a good day driving sensibly he was lucky to top 27mpg and when driven not sensibly was seeing 15mpg!!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #173 on: 27 April 2019, 08:39 »
The i30N performance has the adaptive dampers on it and i must say it felt a lot more study 6 than the golf with dcc.

Apparently the i30n hatch will adopt the fastback's slightly softer suspension tune at the next facelift (2020, from memory).  May well be a good alternative for those of us alienated by the mk8 Golf's move to technology overkill.  I'll probably end up keeping my 7.5 long term, or alternatively consider the i30n.
damn auto correct  :grin:

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #174 on: 27 April 2019, 08:55 »
Most of the switches look exactly the same in the i30N as they do in the golf. I wouldn't say the suspension is softer either (it was the fastback I test drove). You don't get any suspension knocking over bumps and ruts and it just feels a well built car. The biggest issue for me is mpg. Bumped into a chap at a petrol station who had one and got talking to him about his i30N. He said on a good day driving sensibly he was lucky to top 27mpg and when driven not sensibly was seeing 15mpg!!

Meant that the suspension is supposed to be softer in the 2020 car from the previous post. Thought this would help as I found it far too firm for me. Much firmer than my R. Agree the the switches seem good, as good as Vw but the artificial leather is poor. At least they’re open about it though.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #175 on: 27 April 2019, 10:00 »
I actually thought the seats were really comfy and found a comfortable driving position easier than my golf. The fastback suspension was spot on I thought.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #176 on: 27 April 2019, 10:21 »
I actually thought the seats were really comfy and found a comfortable driving position easier than my golf. The fastback suspension was spot on I thought.

They’re definitely comfy. Very supportive. Just felt the material was poor, especially considering the car isn’t exactly cheap on pcp.  Be interesting to see how prices hold.

Good to hear that the sportback suspension is between than the hatch. It’s definitely an option next time I think.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #177 on: 27 April 2019, 11:22 »
Yes was surprised how expensive the figures were considering you can get a brand new one for around the 24k mark. My local dealer was dreadful too so won't be going back to them. It's just the poor mpg that's putting me off and makes a 7.5 R a bit more attractive.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #178 on: 09 May 2019, 09:40 »
I'm already looking at other cars instead of looking forward forward to the mk8. It looks odd and out of proportion and I think even the GTi or R versions won't save it. The issue is though what else is around that can replace a Dec 2016 Golf GTi PP? A last of line 7.5 GTi, last of line R, TCR? Polo GTi? Hyundai i30n performance, a35 AMG, Leon Cupra. I know it definitely won't be a focus as thats even fuglier than the mk8. Anyone with any other ideas?

The Focus ST has been revealed - 280bhp for £32k. Must say, looks ok bit doesn't look particularly great inside from a tech perspective. Don't think it would be on my list next. Think it's a case of wait and see for the Performance versions of the Mk8 as they might look good..

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-eurocars/2019-ford-focus-st-gets-280hp--update/39640?fbclid=IwAR3c-cHOb16LGBtivdinUga564RWnL7HpgzEZMoL8nZkm_nw4K0Wvee1DX4
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #179 on: 09 May 2019, 10:07 »

Saw my first 130n in the flesh at the weekend and quite impressed on first impressions, it looked solidly built, has a decent style and though not ever really liked the colour in photos, it looks much nicer in the flesh and suiting that its the performance model
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC