Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 169221 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #120 on: 05 March 2019, 12:54 »
And almost identical to the black one spotted in the drive through a month or so ago that no one thought was a real!  :grin:

We’re all in denial!

Lots of bits of disguise still on that car. Hopefully the ill-fitting chrome lower bumper and door window trims are to throw people off the actual lines, plus taped up lights, reflectors etc.

The overall shape is rather “lowered MPV” though (as opposed to attractive well proportioned medium hatchback) and not masses different to the rounded off new Focus. In fact the Tiguan actually looks more stylish.

As with all non-Performance Model Golfs (which can look dull as crap in photos) it probably needs to be seen in the flesh to appreciate the stance and styling quirks.
Or maybe this evolutionary model (as opposed to revolutionary) is actually a munter. I’m sure it’ll sell well though, there’s not exactly a shortage of 1 series about which is about as ill-proportioned as a hatchback can get.

Maybe evo1986’s comment about not waiting for a mk8 was a nod toward the fact the 8 is infact just an uglier evolution of the 7 in the flesh...    :cry:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #121 on: 05 March 2019, 12:56 »
If you look carefully at the first two pictures posted by kmpowell, it looks as if the headlights are taped up to disguise them - remove the tape, and they sweep back almost into the wheel arch edge; very un-Golf like!

This could still be a heavily disguised 1 series yet!  :laugh:
I spot a few BMW styling cues
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #122 on: 05 March 2019, 13:08 »
And almost identical to the black one spotted in the drive through a month or so ago that no one thought was a real!  :grin:

We’re all in denial!

Lots of bits of disguise still on that car. Hopefully the ill-fitting chrome lower bumper and door window trims are to throw people off the actual lines, plus taped up lights, reflectors etc.

The overall shape is rather “lowered MPV” though (as opposed to attractive well proportioned medium hatchback) and not masses different to the rounded off new Focus. In fact the Tiguan actually looks more stylish.

As with all non-Performance Model Golfs (which can look dull as crap in photos) it probably needs to be seen in the flesh to appreciate the stance and styling quirks.
Or maybe this evolutionary model (as opposed to revolutionary) is actually a munter. I’m sure it’ll sell well though, there’s not exactly a shortage of 1 series about which is about as ill-proportioned as a hatchback can get.

Maybe evo1986’s comment about not waiting for a mk8 was a nod toward the fact the 8 is infact just an uglier evolution of the 7 in the flesh...    :cry:

Agreed, until we see a finished GTI on a stand then hard to pass proper comment. But that one in the latest pics does look really crap, even from a shape perspective which as you say looks shrunken mpv almost. It's an important car to get wrong so I'd be surprised if it's looks that bad at launch even in boggo trim.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #123 on: 05 March 2019, 15:07 »
I can see a stampede for 7.5s coming if that's the mk8. I knew they'd extended the wheel base but it now just looks wrong!! I was going to wait and just go to the 8 but from this picture don't think I'll bother.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #124 on: 05 March 2019, 17:19 »
Hmmm. So if the Mk8 is available late 19 and we are hearing rumours the performance models will not be available until later in 2020 at least, does this leave a huge gap in which no new fast golfs will be available?
Or will they keep a run-out 7.5 production line open alongside the new Mk 8 one? I doubt it but .....

Incidentally, I happened to be talking to dealer today and salesman told me a 7% price rise was imminent. I’m not going to tell you what he blamed. Might just be sales talk....
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #125 on: 05 March 2019, 19:06 »
Hmmm. So if the Mk8 is available late 19 and we are hearing rumours the performance models will not be available until later in 2020 at least, does this leave a huge gap in which no new fast golfs will be available?
Or will they keep a run-out 7.5 production line open alongside the new Mk 8 one? I doubt it but .....

Incidentally, I happened to be talking to dealer today and salesman told me a 7% price rise was imminent. I’m not going to tell you what he blamed. Might just be sales talk....

7% or 10% rises blamed on whatever are up to the consumer to reject. People just need to hold their nerve in enough numbers. The UK is a huge and hungry market so will still have significant sway in Europe.
Those that rent their cars might be over a barrel for a short time but there are other options out there.
The only way to get leeway with prices is for buyers to stand firm.

If the mk8 follows the normal pattern (the 7.5 was a FL so was different) the new Golf will be debuted at a major motor show soonish.
The factory will pull production on the mk7 before the summer shut down.
The mk8 will roll in the autumn for LHD markets first then the UK early winter.
GTI/D launched spring next year, first deliveries early summer, most coming in the autumn. The R 6-12 months later.
Who knows with VW these days though. The 7 is still selling strongly and I think will be in good demand for some time to come. I definitely can’t see 7 and 8 production  in tandem though. Unless they keep the estate/variant running a bit longer (excuse pun).

With that massive wheelbase I’d say it would be unlikely they’ll do a 3 door. The proportions surely won’t be right(?)
« Last Edit: 05 March 2019, 19:08 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #126 on: 06 March 2019, 11:48 »
No sign of the Mk8 at Geneva....  :whistle:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #127 on: 06 March 2019, 13:25 »
Probably show up at Frankfurt in September...
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #128 on: 06 March 2019, 16:05 »

Do VW have anything interesting unveiled at the Geneva show?
I can’t be arsed to google through pics of Hyundai hybrids and the latest cynical limited editions of limited edition Porsches and whatever else is on show.

I did see a pic of an electric SEAT but that’s about it.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #129 on: 06 March 2019, 16:36 »

Do VW have anything interesting unveiled at the Geneva show?
I can’t be arsed to google through pics of Hyundai hybrids and the latest cynical limited editions of limited edition Porsches and whatever else is on show.

I did see a pic of an electric SEAT but that’s about it.

Pretty sure nothing of interest - main attraction is a beach buggy from the ID range which is as pointless as rear cup holders in a Clubsport S...
NOW - 330e M Sport