Author Topic: Clubsport Edition 40 and Clubsport S build numbers (and car photos)  (Read 142050 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Clubsport Edition 40 and Clubsport S build numbers (and car photos)
« Reply #550 on: 15 September 2019, 18:28 »
A great read as always sir. I found it interesting that you commented on the dcc and ride quality. Always wondered why the very early TCR reviews stated that the ride wasn’t as good as a pp gti and could be a bit harsh. The later reviews on UK roads reversed this opinion completely.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #551 on: 15 September 2019, 18:46 »
I think Ed40 & TCR have different spring length & rate to those fitted to PP.

On 18" s the PP is likely the more compliant ride, mine was fine.

I am sure they exist, but I have yet to see a TCR on 18" wheels on the road, those I have seen have 19's and therefore Dcc.

I am impressed with Dcc on 19's, but never felt the need with 18" wheels.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #552 on: 15 September 2019, 20:57 »
It might have been my imagination with the DCC.
It was no worse than my Ed40 on 19’s but didn’t seem £900 better if that makes sense.

However I’d spec the 19” alloy and DCC pack despite high cost.
Maybe I was expecting too much.

My R on 19’s and no DCC rode really well.

When discussing it with Evo1986 he said DCC has become very popular with new and used buyers alike on performance Golfs so maybe some of the cost would be offset by retained value. Andrew at VolksWizard also said DCC has caught on big time with used buyers.

Oh, I nearly forgot, one area the Ed40 wins hands down (literally) is the fluffy steering wheel!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #553 on: 16 September 2019, 10:43 »
I concur that specification is very important on these cars, as we have seen with Porsche, the spread between a desirable and less well specified cars makes a huge difference!
"Incorrectly" specified cars (as far as the market is concerned) can make some cars literally unsaleable close to the median market value??

Also agree on steering wheel, lack of bucket seat option doesn't even need to be said!? ;)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #554 on: 16 September 2019, 12:54 »
Bit different on Porsche where they actually allow you to completely ruin a car via the huge paint and options list.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #555 on: 16 September 2019, 22:49 »
Interesting comments Exonian and pretty much echo my own views.

I've rattled on about this before but there are flaws in the usability of AID - fuel gauge being my favourite bugbear but at least in the MKVII, you can upgrade to Car Play which does make a difference. With Porsche, you're stuffed with a relic of a head unit with no upgrade potential from PCM3 to PCM4.

Damping comments are interesting and I don't know if the CSS has the same spring rates as the CS (I've never bothered to find out) but I know that I can't use the CSS outside of comfort on most UK roads. It's harsh and the ride feels brittle. The TCR by contrast (also on 19s) has a lot more pliancy across the DCC settings. I drive both on B-roads a lot and the TCR is very civilised, even in the most extreme DCC setting (sport).

I would have put 18" wheels on the TCR but have a hatred for diamond cut wheels. Even though I never curbed them, I ended up with white worm so don't get the manufacturer obsession. Anyway, I have bought 2 sets of Oz Racing Leggera HLT in gloss black, they're 18" and I'm swapping them in as winter wheels on the TCR and CSS. A bit of extra tyre wall forgiveness for those puddles that turn out to be potholes. I'm also taking the CSS in for full geo. The toe is clearly out on one of the tyres based on wear so it'll be interesting to see how all these changes contribute to handling independently and comparatively on the two cars. If anyone is interested, happy to share what I find.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #556 on: 17 September 2019, 05:26 »
About half way down this page shows many of the differing parts between CS and CSS and the front springs are definitely different.
I find my non DCC CS on 19’s rides fine but a bit knobbly over irregularities.
The TCR with DCC no worse but didn’t feel masses better, it might even have the same springs as the CS or even CSS.
To be fair I was a passenger and might have been overly critical as it’s an option I’ve never experienced before but had read great things about.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #557 on: 17 September 2019, 10:21 »
About half way down this page shows many of the differing parts between CS and CSS and the front springs are definitely different.
I find my non DCC CS on 19’s rides fine but a bit knobbly over irregularities.
The TCR with DCC no worse but didn’t feel masses better, it might even have the same springs as the CS or even CSS.
To be fair I was a passenger and might have been overly critical as it’s an option I’ve never experienced before but had read great things about.

Half way down this page? Did you mean to include a link or do you mean this thread?

I don't think there is a revelation level of difference, it's nuanced evolution. I suspect a chassis engineer would be able to tell the difference and pinpoint the nature of the changes. Someone like David Pook who has been tweaking his Alpine to extraordinary levels as befits his experience and knowledge is shorthand for what's possible. I reference him because I think you mentioned the French earlier and the A220 has been lauded but he seems to have been able to take it a lot further.

Geo and tyre choice make a big difference as do chassis tweaks. I remember the first time I took advice and had a car properly sorted, I realised just how little attention is given to that out of factory. Much like the paint condition.

No issue being a passenger, your butt still sits in the seat like the driver.  :grin:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline AGB

• I live here