Author Topic: Garage floor paint  (Read 5105 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Garage floor paint
« on: 11 April 2020, 21:57 »
Ok, I know this isn’t really a gti question but wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a garage floor paint. My floor is a little even and I’ve tried a few over the years with little success. Any suggestions are welcome.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Garage floor paint
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2020, 22:46 »
did you mean uneven? If its not too uneven, have you considered the rubber interlocking floor tiles you can get?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2020, 23:01 »
Whoops! Uneven yes. I did look at those mats but they seem quite expensive.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2020, 01:19 »
Ok, I know this isn’t really a gti question but wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a garage floor paint. My floor is a little even and I’ve tried a few over the years with little success. Any suggestions are welcome.

I'd recommend Resincoat - after a lot of research, I did my floor in light grey and it has been brilliant.

https://www.resincoat.co.uk/en/paints/49-resincoat-hb-epoxy-garage-floor-paint.html

What impressed me about Resincoat was that they supply the paint in tins with sufficient capacity to mix the two components versus having to worry about finding a clean container to mix in. They've thought about the details and when I spoke to them, I ended up sending a variety of pictures of the surface (new concrete slab which was quite calcareous and I was worried about absorption) and they gave me excellent advice on sealing - not someone reading off a script but with actual working knowledge of the product and justification for their recommendation.

I had three bays to cover so wanted a decent size roller and to not be doing it on my hands and knees. I used a Purdy adjustable on a fibreglass extension pole. Pretty much this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324086844028 The Purdy is expensive but the fibreglass pole is light and strong so you can put some force into it which you'll need if you do it in warm temperatures. The epoxy starts to go off fast - I did it on a 20 degree day and was surprised at how hard I was having to work so with my time again, would work in cooler temperatures.

I'd recommend getting the rollers from Resincoat, they're a reasonable price and don't lose their pile in application. You don't have to but getting the pile right is key as is making sure they don't shed into the mixture, it will be a nightmare plucking out debris in epoxy that is going off.

Surface prep is critical - I swept, vacuumed and used a Metrovac blower (for drying the car) to get every bit of dust off the surface. You might need specific prep if you have oil stains or your surface isn't new as it'll corrupt the finish.

Hope this helps.

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2020, 06:49 »
That was really useful. Thanks. It’s good to hear firsthand experience of the product.

I’ve just been in the website and it has 50% off at the moment. Is this the kind of offer that’s on a lot or is it a more genuine offer if you know what I mean?

Offline Phil245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2020, 08:44 »
I painted the garage floor with a proper floor paint when we bought the house, but it kept peeling off........

After spotting an advert on the bay for a local company selling off a job lot of carpet tiles I bought a hundred at 50p each and used them in the garage. Much better and if you need to lie down to do maintenance etc, very much more pleasant.  I keep an old Hoover retired from house duties in the shed, and just hoover in there perhaps once a fortnight. It's all a bit extreme but it makes it more pleasant working on the cars and bikes.
2019 Golf GTI 245 Performance, 2020 Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI
Sadly sold, Octavia VRS245 Estate, Audi A3 1.5TFSI S Line Black Edition, Polo GTi 1.8, Audi TT Roadster, Golf Mk7 GTD etc.
Daughter has 2019 Polo 2.0GTi DSG. We love VAG !

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2020, 09:17 »
I painted the garage floor with a proper floor paint when we bought the house, but it kept peeling off........

After spotting an advert on the bay for a local company selling off a job lot of carpet tiles I bought a hundred at 50p each and used them in the garage. Much better and if you need to lie down to do maintenance etc, very much more pleasant.  I keep an old Hoover retired from house duties in the shed, and just hoover in there perhaps once a fortnight. It's all a bit extreme but it makes it more pleasant working on the cars and bikes.

Now this is why I love this forum. Great ideas! I’ve been thinking of different alternatives and this is one I certainly hadn’t thought of! Thanks.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2020, 09:39 »

Presumably that means that you can’t put your car in the garage if you’ve driven through snow and the car’s caked in slush, as that wouldn’t be good for the carpet tiles. Similarly if the car’s very wet?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Phil245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2020, 09:51 »
/quote]

Presumably that means that you can’t put your car in the garage if you’ve driven through snow and the car’s caked in slush, as that wouldn’t be good for the carpet tiles. Similarly if the car’s very wet?
[/quote]

I don't worry about them getting wet particularly, they appear to have a "rubbery" sort of backing and just dry out if they get wet.  We don't always put the cars away in the garage every day.  If the car came home covered in snow I could leave it outside, but TBH I can't really remember the last time we had any snow worth mentioning where I live.....
2019 Golf GTI 245 Performance, 2020 Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI
Sadly sold, Octavia VRS245 Estate, Audi A3 1.5TFSI S Line Black Edition, Polo GTi 1.8, Audi TT Roadster, Golf Mk7 GTD etc.
Daughter has 2019 Polo 2.0GTi DSG. We love VAG !

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2020, 13:19 »
That was really useful. Thanks. It’s good to hear firsthand experience of the product.

I’ve just been in the website and it has 50% off at the moment. Is this the kind of offer that’s on a lot or is it a more genuine offer if you know what I mean?

Ah yes, the permanently closing down sale discount. I know that they regularly do offers but don't recall getting 50%. Conceivable that they're trying to move product in the consumer market as the commercial / construction aspect of their business has presumably just dried up. I also think they offer discounts because the polymers and hardeners have a shelf life of 2-3 years if I recall so it would make sense that they'd price stock nearing that time window from manufacture. A question worth asking if they're offering deep discounts and you're not planning on doing the job immediately.

All surface coverings are going to have pros and cons and the success of whatever you apply is going to be determined by the substrate that you start with and how much preparation you put into it.

Only negative in day to day use for me is grip if you spill something like snow foam. I nearly did a cartoonish wheels up as I overfilled the bottle the other day. But that was a small patch of clear liquid on a light grey floor. One incident in five years.

This is what it looks like five years after application:

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR