Author Topic: Oil leaking from airbox,need advise please 16v KR.  (Read 939 times)

Offline s1monc

• Not said much yet
I have a Mk2 16v KR golf gti, had it for 7 months but only just started to use it this week & noticed it was leaking oil from the airbox, took the airbox apart & their was no air filter fitted ! Also the box & pipes were full of cream but the car has been shunted in & out of a workshop everyday for the last 7 months so might not help.
Thought i'd do an engine flush & then change the oil today as was also a bit tappety, now i checked in the Haynes manual & it says 4 litres of oil for oil change. I put in exactly 4 litres & it was only reading on minimum mark on dipstick & that was after running the car for 5 mins & then leaving for an hour or so before checking level. So i then put another 1/2 a litre in & it now reads bang in the middle of min / max, so i'm a bit confused here, should it be 4 litres, is my dipstick incorrect ? I measured out the old oil that came out & that was 5.5 litres including the flush which was 0.5 litres ,so the engine had 5 litres in it before & was reading exactly on the max mark. Maybe this explains the oil in the airbox & the car seemed to smoke quite a bit too. Any advise , maybe i need a new dipstick but it certainly looks like the original one as the tube it goes into had red plastic on the top & so does the dipstick so they look like they match up.
Looks like i might have to drain 1/2 litre out if the dipstick is wrong !
Cheers Simon.