Author Topic: Mk2 20v T - SHELL SCRAPPED!  (Read 12653 times)

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
Re: Mk2 GTI to 20v 1.8T project!
« Reply #20 on: 18 June 2012, 21:40 »
cant wait to see how this pans out, if its anything like the bora itl be awsome.

Cheers bud! Yeah hopefully should be better then the bora, doing 15hours overtime this week to get some money together for some parts. Making sure everything gets done properly  :evil:

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 18 June 2012, 21:47 »
Decided what box, shafts and everything else your using yet, engine mounts etc?
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #22 on: 19 June 2012, 19:10 »
Oh god I don’t know mate I keep reading up about what box, transmission etc, getting confused, the cold sweats and assuming the foetal position  :laugh:

Will be selling the 6 speed box thats on the AUQ and probably go for standard 20v box although I read mk3 16v will fit or the diesel box if you want longer gear rations for motorway driving :undecided:? I know someone that is able to de-immobilise the ecu for me and sort out the loom so its plug in and play in the back of mk2 fuse box and will run the mk2 dash. was gonna just use the 8v gti driveshafts and looking to get mk4 engine mounts ...

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #23 on: 19 June 2012, 19:16 »
Id be fitting Mk3 GTI subrame, MK3 GTI driveshafts, MK3 16v box (and linkages unless u do what I'm doing and use mk4 linkage), ideally fit a VR6 final drive to that for top end however the 16v box is fine (currently have one in mine and iv seen a indicated 160mph)
and if money can stretch id think about a LSD too

only drawback is this will convert to 5 stud so u would need to wide track rear too

this way u can run the mk3 16V mounts etc and they will fit to the engine fine with all the mk3 16v brackets

We recently converted a mk2 GTI and this is the way we went

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #24 on: 20 June 2012, 13:21 »
look forward to updates (and clues for when i get stuck on mine!)

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #25 on: 20 June 2012, 15:41 »
Haha you're joking aint ya bud I have been reading your thread for info :D

Thanks kells will get looking for a valver being broken then ;) I understand the wide track give better handling?

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #26 on: 20 June 2012, 16:49 »
Haha you're joking aint ya bud I have been reading your thread for info :D

christ, there's gonna be a for sale section full of unfinished 20v projects at this rate haha

Offline dubsport

• I live here
  • TDI POWAR!
« Reply #27 on: 10 July 2012, 13:54 »
Afternoon,

Not updated in a while but lots has happened, totally stripped out the interior of the car, removed all the windows, exterior trim and rubber seals and about to start prepping it for paint (although I still havent decided on a colour :undecided:) Will be picking up the mk3 16v GTI subframe, rear beam and driveshafts on saturday :afro:

Got started on stripping the engine yesterday, removed the rocker cover and inlet manifold, cleaned them, up sprayed them with high temp paint and then found some Hammerite hammered effect paint kicking about so painted them with that and it looks pretty awesome to be honest so im happy :afro: was'nt going to bother with tarting the bay up this time but no matter how many times I say it I always do. Basically going to replace all the rubber pipe work with black silicone ones as most have perished, everything in the engine bay is going to be black appart from the polished fuel rail :evil:

here is how I got one  :smiley:

Totally forgot I still had this carbon fibre engine cover, should look cool against the other bits in the bay :cool:

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #28 on: 10 July 2012, 18:16 »
that black hammered finish looks cool as a mo fo   :cool:

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #29 on: 10 July 2012, 21:25 »
Nice project dude, x2 on the hammerite :D

In terms of 02A boxes. I had a 16v box before and it lit up the wheels first 3 gears and got to 140 pretty quick.

Now I have the ASD diesel box, and it does make the car a little slower due to longer gears but I get traction in the wet when I floor it in 2nd. However its basically a 4 speed; max out 4th, jumping into 5th makes no difference, revs and speed stays the same. So box is too long/not enough power. But cruising in 5th at 80, its quiet, revs sit at 3k and I fetch 45mpg :cool:

So if you want more fun and to race around, go for the shorter ratio 02A. If you want a bit more refinement then go for the diesel box.

I will add, this is with 230-240bhp and I would think with the extra 50bhp I'd see from hybrid'ing my K03s (its on the list :D ), it would be a nice match with the diesel box.