Author Topic: Dan's mk2 8v to ABF project **Build For Le Mans??**  (Read 62739 times)

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Re: Dan's mk2 8v to ABF 'restoration' project
« Reply #20 on: 12 March 2011, 14:48 »
Right well its been a good day so far.. my new socket and adaptor turned up this morning.. and as i thought my longer breaker bar freed the nut up no problem.. so really happy i didnt have to split the nut or such..  :smiley:

Then i went about taking the driveshafts out which was actually easier than i thought... I just undone all the spline bolts and undone the ball joint from the wishbone and move the strut out the way and slid the shafts out they will be cleaned up painted and new gaitors fitted... Only problem is the last 3 MOT's its had its had new gaitors fitted so they seem to be wearing out fast would this be due to it being lowered on bilstein shocks and springs ?? if so can i raist the engine up a tad or will the inlet foul the bonnet ??

i then lowered the subframe and removed the engine which was a real pain in the arse as i couldnt get enough room really to undo exhaust manifold bolts but it was much easier once subframe lowered.. i just moved the engine forward and that gave me enough room to undo the bolts...

Next up i need to try and remove the servo and once thats removed i can remove all my wiring loom ready to send off to RubJonny for splicing..

So to sum today up im really happy so far and will upload some pics later on today hopefully  :smiley: :smiley:
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 12 March 2011, 15:14 »
Good work.  :smiley:

I found out yesterday that VW hub nuts are rediculously tight. The best way is at a solid 90 degree angle, have a massive bar that is 45 degrees and it wants to round, 90 degree adapter and a bar, job done. :afro:

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #22 on: 12 March 2011, 15:27 »
So was i mate the threads and that werent even rusty or corroded just bloody tight lol

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 12 March 2011, 15:31 »
I know, I lifted the car off the very pooly placed jack.  :grin:

It's a scraper tho, so no that bothered.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #24 on: 12 March 2011, 18:17 »
Well made even more progress from earlier  :smiley: :smiley: I managed to remove the fiddly brake servo so that will be painted in the coming weeks.. also removed all the loom from the engine bay just got to wort the interior bit and that can be sent off to RubJonny..

Well anyway here are some pics for anyone if they interested..

The fiddly clip holding brake pedal to servo for other peoples referance

The space it left behind

My collection of breaker bars inc the daddy snap-on ratchet bar that shifted the hub nut !!

All the loom from the bay !

Always been told to organise all nuts and bolts for future referance so i did  :smiley:

How it looked at end of the day

Thanks for looking more updates to come sooon

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #25 on: 13 March 2011, 21:52 »
Right ive decided im gona strip the underside and engine bay back to bare metal and go from there...

With the engine bay i have a colour in mind that should turn some heads  :smiley: But what primers going to be best for me to paint the engine bay for longevity i need brush on preferably as im going to do underside and cans would be useless ??

Ive head people talk about red oxide primer ?? also some companies like plastikote and hammerite sell stuff but its not cheap thats for sure  :grin: :grin:

Ive also bought a wire brush for my drill and a flap wheel for my grinder get all rid of this surface rust finally  :smiley: :smiley:

Any advice would be great !!

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #27 on: 13 March 2011, 23:03 »
Good work mate, will defo be keeping an eye on this as it progresses. Will be doing mine in the next few weeks.

Maybe of interest as you get whole chassis packs and they use that stuff to protect oil rigs out in the North Sea. You can paint it on or spray it.
http://www.rust.co.uk/epoxy-mastic.cfm

Where did you get your spline tool from and breaker bar?

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #28 on: 13 March 2011, 23:08 »
I bought the spline tool off ebay it was a longer reach one and cost me all of £4 something  :smiley: the breaker bars i inherited from my dad luckily as they pretty expensive  :smiley:

Thanks for the link will have a looky as i dont wana find rust in 2 years time !!

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #29 on: 13 March 2011, 23:25 »
Yeah, if it's a keeper then it worth doing once and doing right :cool:

I just wondered if you'd found some way of getting cheap Snap on tools :grin:

Learned the hard way with multi hex sockets, not even worth buying imo.
Got to get me a bigger breaker bar though. I also highly recommend GT85 penetrating fluid, and it smells nice too...

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.