Author Topic: Golf Mk2 Driver 1.8 '91 - Desperate help needed!  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
Golf Mk2 Driver 1.8 '91 - Desperate help needed!
« on: 04 February 2012, 11:02 »
Where to begin.. Basically, I bought the car from Leeds just before Christmas. I needed a bit of work doing cosmetically but other than that ran fine. Drove it back up to Middlesbrough and then from there down back home to London a few days later with everything running fine. Worked fine until new years day when I was due to travel back to Middlesbrough when all of a sudden everything went tits up.

I started losing a lot of power when driving with it randomly fading in and out. I read through the forums and decided to change the dizzy cap and also discovered that the accelerator cable had come off of the lever arm bit of the Weber carb. After changing that and the HT leads it was still struggling to start and most of the time not at all. It wouldn't sit at idle and I've never got it close leaving my drive. It then started making funny noises and eventually stopped working altogether. Now after getting the start motor changed I'm still not able to get it started. It's turning over without the noise but now wont fire up at all.

Running out of ideas completely now, I'm only able to get home from the north some weekends where ever lifts are possible because I refuse to pay over £100 for a train ticket.  :rolleyes: Everything I've tried seems to lead to something else breaking or just not fixing it at all. Thanks in advance.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Golf Mk2 Driver 1.8 '91 - Desperate help needed!
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2012, 13:12 »
make sure all the earths are clean and secure.

A bad earth on the motor will cause all of the faults you have described.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2012, 16:18 »
As far as I know I've checked them. Where are they all in case I missed one?

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2012, 16:33 »
Are you getting fuel and spark? If your fuel pump was on it's way out before then that could account for it being sluggish if it was loosing pressure. It could now be totally shot, hence why it won't start. That's a good start anyway or to give us all more of an idea of what you've tried already
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2012, 01:30 »
Yes, I'm getting spark. How do I check the fuel pump? I know they're cheap but I don't want to pile more money into trying to fix it and not getting anything in return.

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2012, 21:38 »
So I finally got to work on the car this weekend. Got it up and running again. All earths fully cleaned and with new terminations. Started first time and I was over the moon. Got it up to temperature and run up the revs a bit to clear it all through and not a single misfire.

Then went to take it for a drive again and just like the original problem, stuttering and jerking under acceleration making it impossible to drive.

Any ideas? Really wanna get this back on the road now. My first car and I only got to drive it for a week.  :cry:

Offline Craigwilson

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2012, 02:13 »
likley the fuel pickup pump in the tank happened to mine and it now runs an absolute dream

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2012, 07:11 »
Probably should have mentioned that I checked the fuel pump and that it was running fine. Could it be struggling under load though?

Offline Craigwilson

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2012, 08:16 »
which fuel pump coz there's one under the car and one in the tank and yes it may be struggling under load that's what delayed me to replace it I thought it was fine but it obviously couldn't give me the pressure I needed.

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2012, 09:38 »
The driver only has the one mechanically driven from the engine AFAIK. Small diaphragm pump.