Author Topic: Golf Mk2 Driver 1.8 '91 - Desperate help needed!  (Read 5364 times)

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
Re: Golf Mk2 Driver 1.8 '91 - Desperate help needed!
« Reply #40 on: 01 March 2012, 17:40 »
I had a k+n bolt on jobbie on my 1.3 for years with no air feeds / vac hoses at all, and never suffered from icing. The pierburg was a load of sh!te until r/r'd though. Spluttering, stalling, crap starting etc etc. Surely if its a problem that's come about its probably mechanical rather than temp related??

Offline KRdubber

• Not said much yet
« Reply #41 on: 02 March 2012, 07:27 »
if you have not even checked your basic service items mate then you should,it needs to be a process of elimination otherwise your pissin in the wind!

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 04 March 2012, 08:21 »
I used to suffer from carb icing with my 1.3 ALL the time and was really really annoying :( When i happened to mention it to an RAC man when we were chatting, he said you could get a heated temperature probe in the airbox, and this wouls stop it. I asked the garage, they said they hadnt heard of it, but the "official" VW recommended upgrade was to force the flap into the hot position with a screw or similar so that it only ever had warm air, and never cold. I did this (with the option of reversibility) and not once suffered from icing since. The car never ran too hot in traffic/summer either.

Same as said above, when the weather was really cold, it would rarely carb ice, it would do it on warm/cool mornings with the condensation/dew, and it would do it along the motorways, not when cold, but mostly in the summer etc.... v annoying, and glad to have fixed it with such a simple modification!

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Offline JamesS

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #43 on: 08 March 2012, 11:54 »
When my mk2 was a 1.8 driver I put a webber on it. It went through 3 rubber carb flanges in two years. Fine on idle then as soon as you tried to pull away the rubber seal lets a load of air in leaning the mixture and causing the engine to stutter & cut. Cheap and under an hour to change. Buy more than one, if you plan on keeping the car it will happen again.
AEROSPACE GRADE CNC MACHINED VR6 KEYRINGS. ONLY £16.50 INC P&P.
http://www.mk2vr6.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13053

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #44 on: 24 March 2012, 16:22 »
if you have not even checked your basic service items mate then you should,it needs to be a process of elimination otherwise your pissin in the wind!

Everything has been changed except for oil and oil filter.

When my mk2 was a 1.8 driver I put a webber on it. It went through 3 rubber carb flanges in two years. Fine on idle then as soon as you tried to pull away the rubber seal lets a load of air in leaning the mixture and causing the engine to stutter & cut. Cheap and under an hour to change. Buy more than one, if you plan on keeping the car it will happen again.

Just finished changing the rubber gasket. Brought it up to temperature and reversed it down my road fine. But once again, pulling away it just splutters and jumps and doesn't enjoy it one bit. The old rubber gasket didn't look too bad, either.

So it looks like I'm back to square one with regards to that idea. As for carb icing, I'm currently sitting in 20c sunshine with a humidity of about 20% whilst enjoying a cider. Surely if it was that I wouldn't be affected by it in this weather?

EDIT:

Been out checking in the dark (again) for any arcing from the coil etc. and there is nothing visible. Tried to take it for a quick spin now the temperature has dropped again and still the same problems.

Also noticed the exhaust is blowing quite a bit now and rattling on the rear bumper. Seems to be quite a lot of silicon on the joint where it's leaking from. It's definitely not a standard exhaust, at least the back box isn't. It also appears to be stainless all the way through. I have no idea what comes standard on a Driver so any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2012, 21:13 by Billy213 »

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #45 on: 25 March 2012, 18:06 »
Upate: Just had the carb off, stripped down and cleaned with carb cleaner. Used the Weber service kit I had to replace like for like. Put the carb back and magic. It still worked the exact same as before. Jumping and stuttering and jerking like a gooden, as if nothing had been changed in the last 4 months.

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 25 March 2012, 18:23 »
I'd still take it to a r/r if I was you. Within one hour they should be able to diagnose the fault, provided you have gone over all the basics beforehand. You wouldn't be looking at a huge bill.

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #47 on: 25 March 2012, 18:32 »
Someone has just suggested to me that it may be a clutch problem. What are the chances of this and how could I check it to make sure?

As for a rolling road, the only way I could get it there would be to have someone pick it up which I can see being fairly expensive so would have to be a last resort.

« Last Edit: 26 March 2012, 15:33 by Billy213 »