Author Topic: Golf Mk2 Driver 1.8 '91 - Desperate help needed!  (Read 5364 times)

Offline Tomonator1985

• Not said much yet
  • Low 'n' Slow
Re: Golf Mk2 Driver 1.8 '91 - Desperate help needed!
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2012, 10:47 »
i had a similar problem, the timing was just way out.
*MK2 Golf GTI 16v Small Bumper*

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2012, 12:13 »
How much am I looking at to get the timing done? I've never done it before and don't have the equipment. A mobile mechanic would probably be my best option.

Offline Craigwilson

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2012, 18:15 »
The driver only has the one mechanically driven from the engine AFAIK. Small diaphragm pump.
oh it's a driver, never realised my bad  :laugh:

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2012, 00:40 »
But I'm gonna assume a split diaphragm could still give me the same issues under load?

It will happily go all the way through the rev range on my drive way but on the road and moving it goes batshi*t mental.

Offline walchy01

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2012, 08:10 »
Had this with mine, a couple of things i have not seen mentioned yet, firstly check your coil, mine was arching/sparking etc(check at night when dark :wink: and doing exactly what your saying yours is doing, no power, jumping about etc.. also check your leads to ensure no breaks in the cables, after checking mine one of leads was damaged within the plastic which you could not see from just looking at them :wink:

All the best

Walchy

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2012, 08:26 »
My ht leads are new from GSF and have never been on the road. the coil pack is a possibility but wouldn't that arc all the time as opposed to when just under load?

Also, what should I be looking for on the carb? I've got a service kit but no time to work on it right now.

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #16 on: 21 February 2012, 08:57 »
My Lads Driver has just been to the Mechanics to have a similar issue sorted and his was a multiple issue problem....

1, Fuel filter
2, damaged Coil lead arcing on the rotor
3, dist cap not fitted properly
4, knacked rotor
5, past their best HT leads
6, Carb full of crud and other issues with the dreaded Piersburg which he rebuilt from a spare unit we had...

Might help - might not!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 21 February 2012, 19:20 »
I think my best bet is to give the carb a clean up and replace everything in the service. Everything listed I've changed recently with no success.

Failing that, get someone to do my timing and see how it for a from there.

Offline KRdubber

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 24 February 2012, 09:52 »
I once had a 1991 1.8GL and i swapped the shoddy pierburg for a daddy weber 32/34 ran great, then i came across the exact same probs as your having so checked everything as you have and then removed my carb stripped it and cleaned its individual parts thouroughly with fuel and compressed air, then re-assembled it and ran engine - seemed ok -took for a drive and problem is back so struggled home and tried one last time with the compressed air into the ports of the carb and just as i was about to give up so the smallest ever piece of grit came out so i cleaned it out and took her out - problem solved and never had any problems ever again.Also someone i know had the same prob with his jets in his carb due to a dog hair lodged in the jet!!!Hope it works for you,good luck

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 25 February 2012, 11:25 »
By jets I'm guessing you're talking about the four at the front of the carb if you take the air box off? If so, I have cleaned them with a can of compressed air and they seemed very clear. I think my best bet will be a total strip down, thorough clean and service. We have dry insrument air at work so I'll be able to do a proper job when I'm back in London but for now I'm stuck in Middlesbrough with no car.