Author Topic: mk2 running like sh!t  (Read 929 times)

Offline lorna49

• Just got here
mk2 running like sh!t
« on: 04 March 2012, 19:31 »
Good evening can anyone help me with 1991 8v mk2 which is running like 1.3 towing a caravan.I bought the car just over a year ago it has a piper 285 cam fitted and usually when it gets 3000rpm it flies but since last week it just has no power could it be the knock sensor on the block any ideas??

Offline lorna49

• Just got here
Re: mk2 running like sh!t
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2012, 20:26 »
Surely someone has a suggestion no matter how rediculous it seems, I is getting a wee bit despirit  :

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2012, 21:33 »
Read the 8v digi tuning guide. Check all things like cam to crank timing, and ignition timing, which must be at 6degs if I recall, and requires no pre-advancing (ecu controlled). other than suggesting to go through everything, from fuel supply, temp sensor to dizzy leads, plugs, injectors, vac hoses, rotor arm + cap, have a poke about and see if anything seems dodgey/suspicious, or doesn't look/sound right. If it was working fine and nothing has failed, it could be a wire under your nose. You could remove knock sensor, clean block face then re-torque to 20nm if I recall correctly?

Offline lorna49

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2012, 21:12 »
had a proper look at the knock sensor today and one of the wires is broken off completely, anyone know were to get another one and does it have to be the same colour plug on the end cos mines is a white or could be beige hard to tell.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2012, 23:38 »
all the vw knock sensors are pritty muce the same.   as long as the wire reaches and the plug fits it'll work.

what it critical  is the torque that the bolt holding it is done upto as it affects the sensors responce to diffrent frequency vibrations,  iirc it's 20 n/m  but maybe ft/lb
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline lorna49

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2012, 19:43 »
thanx so much for the help will try to get another and check the tork setting b4 fitting :smiley: