Author Topic: MK3 GTI Rust Front Wings  (Read 5656 times)

Offline alehaz95

• Just got here
MK3 GTI Rust Front Wings
« on: 07 February 2016, 18:49 »
Hi Guys,

Just signed up to this for some help with the Mk3 8V i bought last weekend  :tongue: .

Amongst all her faults the front wings are rusty at the bottom and I have been offered a pair of straight tidy wings for £40 in red but of a NON GTI model [meaning no plastic arches].

Is it possible to fit non GTI wings on and retrofit the plastic arches of my old rusty wings ?

also as a quick one what MPG should i get as its doing 14 mpg recently and even though its a project not my daily driver I would imagine it should be doing better...

Cheers Guys

Offline doona

• Just got here
Re: MK3 GTI Rust Front Wings
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2016, 21:24 »
Hi, I have a 8v gti, 116.000 on the clock & it does about 35mpg on an average trip, 40 mpg if I'm on a run. Those figures are off the multi function display, not worked out by me, so I guess they could be a little off.
14mpg is likely to be binding brakes, desperate need of a service, faulty reading etc.....
In relation to the wings, I believe they are the same and that you can refit the arches etc

Offline alehaz95

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2016, 21:45 »
Hi thanks for the reply,

Yeah i gassed they would be the same just wanted to check it out before parting with my hard earnt cash.

Mines a 8v GTi in red with 106k on an R- I've got a feeling the exhaust is blowing because i don't remember my first GTI being so raspy but i think it might be over feeling aswell.

How do i check for binding breaks just noise or is the a visual check ?

Just out of curiosity how old is your golf and has it much rust?

Offline doona

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2016, 07:11 »
Mines a 1996, it's got a small amount at the bottom of both front wings, that's a job for me this summer. Other than that it's not too bad.

There's a couple of ways that binding brakes present. Best way to check is to feel the alloy wheels after driving the car for 15 mins or so. If theyre hot to touch, then they're binding. You can also smell it sometimes (if they get really hot). You can also jack the wheels up a see how easily they spin.

Cheers

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2016, 13:05 »
Get someone to scan it for codes - MAF or lambda might be shot. Then full service, sort the exhaust and go from there.

Only differences for the wings is the early and late models have different shape side repeater holes so make sure they match (or the new wings come with the side repeaters..)