Author Topic: Changing to a fat wheels  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Ehab

• Not said much yet
Changing to a fat wheels
« on: 30 December 2004, 08:40 »
Hi all :
            can I change the original tyre of the new golf gti from the slandered 225/45/17 to 255/40/17 on the same original wheels ? it will be about 1 inch fatter , is it safe ? :smiley:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: Changing to a fat wheels
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2005, 12:58 »
Hmmm, I think it's too early for anyone to know the answer to this yet as it's only just come out over here but I'd stay standard for a while as I'm sure the tyres on the wheels are the best that VW thought at the time of their research.  :smiley:
......now officially dubless.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2005, 13:38 »
Going down to 40 profiles will make the ride harder, and also cause your speedometer to give erroneous readings, since you'll be changing the overall radius of the wheels/tyres. On top of that it'll look pretty silly too, making the already huge wheelarches look deserted !

Offline jte

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2005, 13:53 »
It's my understanding that wheels can cope with a fairly small variety of tyre widths.  A wheel with a 225 tyre might be ok from 215 to 235 but to go 30mm over standard probably isn't possible.

Hopefully someone will confirm that or correct me.

And as others mentioned the change in radius will mess up your speedo reading.

A VR6 isn't a way of life, it's just a car.

Offline umar

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2005, 09:25 »
Hey Guys,

Personally I think you are better off with the standard tyres recommened by VW. Going for wider tyres wont enhance the overall look of the car. It is safe to change the tyres but you might as well change the rims to 18 or 19inch alloys to enhance the looks of the car.

Umar

www.storm-eng.co.uk