Author Topic: would anybody be interested in.....  (Read 12606 times)

Offline joesgti

• I live here
Re: would anybody be interested in.....
« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2008, 16:42 »
well theres been loads of interest in here ehh topher  :rolleyes: 2hr 30min and nobody has replied,

also if you plan on bumping a locked thred, then why not just have this one in its place......then people who are interested will bump it. dont really understand why its in here anyway, i see this section as being for people who do lots of track days and want advise on track cars and stuff like that, not for this!!??  even the people who use this section wouldnt be interested  :huh: :huh: and ive been a member for about 14 months and never look in here................this is gay

GTI MK5
Not the only GTI...........but the best! ; )

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #21 on: 13 October 2008, 16:49 »
156 views here, compared to 50 something on the redirected thread (which even has the theme in the topic title unlike this) .. numbers speak for themselves.

Offline joesgti

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 13 October 2008, 16:51 »
56 will be me! the other 100 are from other perople who dont dare post  :tongue:

GTI MK5
Not the only GTI...........but the best! ; )

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #23 on: 13 October 2008, 20:27 »
I dared to post!! I like trackdays!!  :laugh:

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #24 on: 13 October 2008, 21:40 »
And I can confirm that I'll be at the 'ring two or more times in 2009.

And I wouldn't have spotted this in the G5 section.

And I know how you can get tickets at 15Euros per single lap (this year), which is cheaper per lap than a 15 lap ticket (ideal for those on their first time out).  And the guy will buy unused tickets back at that price.

And I can recommend a good, not too dear hotel, under half a mile from the entrance to the circuit, run by English guys.

And I know how to get to pretty much all the good spectating points.

If anyone's planning their first trip and wants to go in summer, then I can recommend either the weekend of Le Mans, or the UK Grand Prix....  Let's just say it cuts down the number of Prix.....

Oh and I'll probably be trailering my car out there for the trips, so if mine doesn't give out or get binned and anyone else's does then there's a handy insurance policy.

Just don't underestimate what you're going to drive - a couple of weekends ago I saw at least two UK cars taken away written off - both on first trips, one on first lap.  If you're going out to 'beat Clarkson' then you're probably going for the wrong reasons and going into the armco.

I've only been out there 6-7 times, but if you want help organising things I am happy to assist, if you want.... IMO it's better to point people to a hotel and a ferry company and suggested crossing time and get them to book themselves - avoids getting mucked about.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #25 on: 13 October 2008, 22:48 »
i'd be up for this. didnt get to go this year due to financial (job) issues, so would love to go in 2009. i take it i will need to sort out track day insurance? any pointers? (looking at diamond hell)

:smiley:

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #26 on: 13 October 2008, 23:28 »
i'd be up for this. didnt get to go this year due to financial (job) issues, so would love to go in 2009. i take it i will need to sort out track day insurance? any pointers? (looking at diamond hell)

No, your normal road cover insures Tourist Fahren days at the 'ring, third party and provided there are no specific exclusion clauses in your policy document.  Track day insurance will NOT cover TF - the 'ring operates as a toll road on these sessions. 

DO NOT CALL YOUR INSURER AND ASK IF YOU ARE COVERED ON THE 'RING.  The automatic and 'sensible' (read 'risk adverse') answer is 'no'. 

Do the research yourself (read your documents) and if there is an issue, start calling other insurers and asking them to provide their policy documents for review before you take out a policy.  Any normal, diligent consumer would do this, to ensure that the insurer gives them an appropriate level of cover for their needs.  If they refuse to let you see the documents, they're probably not worth pursuing for cover.

Once you've nailed insurance for your vehicle you need to get the card that replaced the E111 form, for EU health cover, plus consider some travel insurance, which will get you home if you're immobilised or bed-ridden due to injury.  After that I'd recommend replacing your AA cover with ADAC membership - it's EU-wide and cheaper, more comprehensive cover.  If people are serious about this and want more detailed information, just ask.

Starting this early for 2009 gives you time to sort all of these things out in a relaxed and sensible manner - insurance and AA as they come up for renewal, rather than having to cancel things, or doubling up, which could get expensive.

sharpie

« Reply #27 on: 13 October 2008, 23:40 »
Starting this early for 2009 gives you time to sort all of these things out in a relaxed and sensible manner - insurance and AA as they come up for renewal, rather than having to cancel things, or doubling up, which could get expensive stressful.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #28 on: 14 October 2008, 08:25 »
Gonna go to the 'ring in 2009 with a car that's fit for the drive, then Steve?   :huh:

sharpie

« Reply #29 on: 14 October 2008, 12:11 »
Gonna go to the 'ring in 2009 with a car that's fit for the drive, then Steve?   :huh:

of course