Author Topic: roll cage group buy?  (Read 9965 times)

Offline lowmk1

• GTI forum regular
roll cage group buy?
« on: 10 April 2008, 08:16 »
anyone fancy organising this? i really want one! yabe not a 6 point but maybe a half cage for the back

:cool:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: roll cage group buy?
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2008, 11:21 »
Well I need a 6 pointer for my G2 Syncro, but I'm only in if we're going for FIA-spec cages - no point unless they're 'proper'.

What are people thinking?  OMP or something?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2008, 13:48 »
i am interested but financial matters may mean backing out so call me a maybe at the mo. i agree it needs to be propper though. stu mentioned custom cages if you have a look in the other thread

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2008, 14:08 »
Im Willing to Put some phone calls in an see what kind of discounts are available for a group buy

But im only looking to get a proper FIA 6 point - The custom cages on that ive seen look superb value and from what ive read the build quality is second to none

http://www.customcages.co.uk/corekits.htm

Like Lewis though Finance is the sticking point - might have to be im a month 2 months time before im ready to take the hit

Also , what are we looking at Group buying , MK2 cages or a selection of different ones ?
« Last Edit: 10 April 2008, 14:10 by [Oo=w=oO] Stu »

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2008, 16:01 »
Count me in, I would want a 6 point for a Mk 3.

OMP, Sparco, or the custon cages core kit would be fine with me.

Cheers

Paul

Offline lowmk1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2008, 17:00 »
So you can only get one if you order a 6 point? im all about weight saving now :wink: 6 points are heavy man!!! i may aswel put my interior back in!!!

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2008, 19:39 »
So you can only get one if you order a 6 point? im all about weight saving now :wink: 6 points are heavy man!!! i may aswel put my interior back in!!!
The weight will pay for itself in stiffer chassis, better handling and faster lap times. Thats even without thinking of the safety aspect.

Paul

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2008, 22:33 »
The weight will pay for itself in stiffer chassis, better handling and faster lap times. Thats even without thinking of the safety aspect.

Innit.

Some things have benefits that aren't immediately obvious.  Money spent on safety isn't really wasted.  Provided the cage is to a proper spec then it'll make a world of difference to the car and you can also use it as a base to add to (further fastenings to the shell etc).
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline lowmk1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2008, 22:54 »
ok so my arm has been well and truely twisted to the point of breaking!! put me down for a 6 point!!!

:grin:

does the roll cage really add stiffness to the shell, i thought it was purely saftey.

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2008, 23:17 »
ok so my arm has been well and truely twisted to the point of breaking!! put me down for a 6 point!!!

:grin:

does the roll cage really add stiffness to the shell, i thought it was purely saftey.
Yes, much better than a rear strut brace, it will stop most chassis flex, front to rear and sideways, obviously the more fixing points the stiffer, and welding them in will be stiffer than bolting.
The stiffer chassis performance will far outweigh the extra 20 to 30kgs.

Paul