Author Topic: harness advice  (Read 22527 times)

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
Re: harness advice
« Reply #10 on: 20 June 2010, 11:05 »
im a fair size lmao  :grin:

i think likeu both said just take it out as it is im not goin to do all day probs just a few 20 min sessions if it blows up it will get scrapped if it lasts then i will set about gettin a cage for it

just been speakin to a m8 who has a couple of subaru seats which are quite buckety so may have them as well

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2010, 22:41 »
another quick question when/if i do put a cage init i get the rear of the harness connects to the cage but were do u bolt the front to ?

Offline JonLeeper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2010, 09:39 »
I have drilled through the floor and rivited FIA approved backing plates to the underside.  You can then screw in eyebolts that you can attach your harnesses to.  This is the "Blue Book" method for most racing series so I thought it would be the best way for me.  The backing plates and eyebolts can be had relativly cheaply from most of the usual suppliers, I think that I paid a few quid each.  The rivets are just there to hold the backing plate in place whilst you are faffing around with the eyebolts as they tighten up nicely and pull the plate hard against the floor. 

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2010, 09:59 »
cheers m8y

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2010, 11:37 »
Backing plates would be better welded on the underside.

If you fit buckets, make sure the mounting bars have spreader plates welded into the shell, too.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #15 on: 22 June 2010, 11:39 »

If you fit buckets, make sure the mounting bars have spreader plates welded into the shell, too.

mounting bars spreader plates ? soz a little lost now

Offline JonLeeper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2010, 11:50 »

mounting bars spreader plates ? soz a little lost now

Bucket seats don't, normally, attach using the original mounting points.  you therefore need to manufacture new mointing points for the seat to attach to.  These are usually, if home made, square tubes welded onto the floor of the cabin through which the seats bolt.  the spreader plates are fitted to the underside of the car, in the same way as the plates for the eyebolts, to increase the area (spread) that the nut has to bind to the shell of the car.  This means that you are not trying to rip a small nut throught he floor but a large (2" square) metal plate which is, of course, much more difficult.

Hope that explains it all a little better.

jon

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #17 on: 22 June 2010, 11:54 »
sweet yes makes sense now cheers for the help dh and jonleeper

i used to do the same with the bangers i used to race but it was just a big plate underneather instead of box on top and plate underneath  :shocked:

cheers again

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #18 on: 22 June 2010, 12:10 »
Here's a pre-cut mounting kit from Demon Tweeks.  Should make it obvious:

http://modifying.demontweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Seats_&_Accessories/Seat_Mounting_Frames/Demon_Tweeks_Subframe_Mounting_Kit/1763/0/13671

Note the plates to go around the tubes.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #19 on: 22 June 2010, 12:19 »
They're not bad value for money those DH if you don't have the skills to knock up your own.

I'm currently running a hacked about standard seat frame but hoping in Spetember to do it properly when the cage goes in with a fresh pair of buckets and ditch the standard passenger seat.

Nick