Author Topic: THE RING 2009  (Read 15185 times)

Offline MarkS

• I live here
Re: THE RING 2009
« Reply #20 on: 08 January 2009, 19:05 »
Nice one, cheers :)

What's the deal regarding your car
Does it have to be taxed, insured or MOT'd to drive the ring?

Offline mk4luke

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 08 January 2009, 19:59 »
even if it dont how will you get the car there? trailer all that way rather you than me :grin:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #22 on: 08 January 2009, 20:13 »
It absolutely MUST be road legal and don't bother going there with German plates - you probably won't get on as the officials don't like 'em.

It can't be too noisy, either or you'll get turned away.

Be careful when renewing your insurance.  Certain companies have specific probably-not-legal exclusions in their policy documents that mean you will not be properly covered.  You really MUST read through your policy document before you go and if needs be change your insurance policy, so you have cover.

A trailer is a damned good idea actually - that's how I took my Golf out in September.  It's only a 1000mile round trip from Bristol and I got better MPG from my Passat towing the Golf than the Golf would have got if it were driven out there!  It meant that if anyone in the party I was in canned or killed their car it could come back on the trailer and they could come back in one of the running vehicles, provided they didn't break themselves too much.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 08 January 2009, 21:05 »
I don't do german plates so nothing to worry about there :)

I know what you mean about insurance, I read an exclusion in my contract that says I'm not insured to drive on the 'ring!

When you say road legal does that mean taxed and MOT'd?
I don't think I'm explaining myself well.
For example, if you SORNed an old Golf with no tax or MOT then stripped it out etc etc and trailered it there and back, even though, in theory it would pass an MOT and could be allowed to drive on the roads, would that be acceptable?

Offline gazpowells

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 08 January 2009, 21:53 »
 you must be insured taxed and MOT'd mate to drive on the ring
and take all your papers with you when you go  :smiley:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #25 on: 08 January 2009, 21:53 »
It's a road

It's a road

It's a road

That means, to drive on it, your car must be road legal, not like road legal but actually, properly road legal.

Oh and that little insurance clause means you need to change your insurer or you are not insured as your current insurer is a shyster.

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 08 January 2009, 22:06 »
Right cheers guys :afro:

Probably won't ever go on the 'ring in this car but if I plan to I'll definately make sure I'm covered!

Offline zarnd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 10 January 2009, 10:01 »
Booked my first trip of the year on weekend of 2nd May. Doubt the Golf will be done by then so will be taking the M5 this time around. Will be my 13th trip

cheers
Alex

1989 Golf GTI 5 Dr 16V Race Car
2002 BMW M5 Septmber 2008 TotalBMW Feautre Car
2007 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE

Offline billinjah

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 11 January 2009, 03:24 »
how many laps is taking people to get the hang of it? going a few times this year done lots of tracktime but never at the ring found the TT course was in memory after about 6-7 laps but nothing like on a short circuit!

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #29 on: 11 January 2009, 21:47 »
How long is the TT course?

It took me 20-ish laps to remember anything more than the VERY basics of the track after Ex-Muhle.

With over 70 laps done I'm now to the point where I'm starting to take stuff away from what I do to get faster.  Braking mostly - it's a confidence thing when you know that despite the exit being blind you can either keep the throttle pinned, or just trail it instead of braking.

You'll be going back for the rest of your life trying to master it, IMO.