Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 171682 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #880 on: 08 July 2020, 11:02 »
Still no Mk8 GTI, not even on the German configurator yet.

I don't think we've even seen one yet with real production wheels on it either.

Aren't these the production wheels?

7.5 GTD

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #881 on: 08 July 2020, 11:11 »
Still no Mk8 GTI, not even on the German configurator yet.

I don't think we've even seen one yet with real production wheels on it either.

Aren't these the production wheels?

Yeah those are the production optional wheels, replacing the Brescia’s I believe. I haven’t seen the standard wheels in real yet though, the ones replacing the parkers. Only seen the studio images released by VW
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #882 on: 08 July 2020, 11:24 »
Yeah those are the production optional wheels, replacing the Brescia’s I believe. I haven’t seen the standard wheels in real yet though, the ones replacing the parkers. Only seen the studio images released by VW

You can see the standard wheels in this Autogefühl video review;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHOeIfUMgEE

Admittedly, the car is in a studio setting but you can clearly see the design of the wheels and IMO it’s not a particularly nice design. I think they make the standard 18” Parker’s on the mk7.5 look good, and those wheels weren't well received by many forum members when the mk7.5 was launched.

This one shows the GTI with standard 18” alloys out of the studio;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyzw0iVmISg

Maybe fitting the ‘Swastika‘ style alloys as the standard offering is a deliberate tactic by VW to get owners to pay to upgrade to the better looking (IMO) optional 19” wheels.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #883 on: 08 July 2020, 11:27 »
Yea if i was ordering the new Mk8 Gti today i would not be getting those alloys ... ‘Swastika‘  :grin:
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #884 on: 08 July 2020, 12:10 »
None of the standard 18s from MK7 onwards have been overly popular, the ones on the second video posted by SRGTD I don't think are any worse than it's predecessors. The 19s in the picture above look okay if a bit fussy, I bet they'll be a right royal PITA to clean. I do like the black GTI wing badges and the rear end isn't bad but I still struggle with liking that front end. And is anyone really that fussed about having so many ambient lighting colour options?? Do people really buy cars because of features like that?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #885 on: 08 July 2020, 12:22 »
I was supposed to go see a mk8 today, not a gti of course... Just to see the overall design, its the inside touch buttons im really worried about, ive seen a few videos where they are not that responsive , worried about taking eyes off the road to see what im selecting too..
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #886 on: 08 July 2020, 14:45 »
You can see the standard wheels in this Autogefühl video review;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHOeIfUMgEE

Admittedly, the car is in a studio setting but you can clearly see the design of the wheels and IMO it’s not a particularly nice design. I think they make the standard 18” Parker’s on the mk7.5 look good, and those wheels weren't well received by many forum members when the mk7.5 was launched.

Urgh.

And I thought the Milton Keynes were bad...

I'd go against my usual path and actually pay for somethnig, anythnig else.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #887 on: 08 July 2020, 16:50 »
Saw a black MK8 today parked at Tesco, I circled it twice to have a good look. Better than in white, rear end still the best view, the front end is not quite as offensive as I recall from the last one I saw but it still looks wrong, it really doesn't look like the right two ends of the same car. One good thing though, the driver was able to get it out and about without hitting something whilst making touch sensitive adjustments on the fly :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #888 on: 08 July 2020, 17:20 »
I’m going to be controversial here and say I like the standard design for 18 inch wheel on the Golf GTI. I never really liked the Mk7 or mk7.5 GTI standard wheels.

The new one seems to have pushed the spokes further round and filled out the spoke and it just looks better than previous wheels.

But of course the front grill still a big problem so liking the wheels now seems pointless. Thought I would spring to the defence of the poor wheel as I haven’t seem anyone support it so far.

Yes having all these ambient lighting colours just seems overkill and totally unnecessary. It’s bad enough you get 30 in the VW... what the hell would you do with 64 colours which you can have in the Mercedes

PS check out Guzzle’s post on Page 9 of Mk8 Golf Latest info as he was able to grab a screen shot of the mk8 wheels.
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #889 on: 08 July 2020, 17:23 »
Maybe fitting the ‘Swastika‘ style alloys as the standard offering is a deliberate tactic by VW to get owners to pay to upgrade to the better looking (IMO) optional 19” wheels.

Yeah, a bit like a form of vanity tax. You shell out more to end up with heavier wheels, worse ride quality, more expensive tyres and increased risk of kerbing.

I reckon the 18 inch Bergamo's look like they could be a decent happy medium for me in terms of cost, aesthetics, ride quality and ease of cleaning

The 19's do look tasty, but knowing VW they'll probably be preposterously expensive

7.5 GTD