Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529798 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #750 on: 15 September 2016, 21:32 »
All four wheels off today, cleaned then treated to a coating of G-Techniq C2v3, will get a second coating on in the near future. Was pleased to see how little muck was on the barrels and the rear of the spokes. Calipers given a good clean too. Only disappointment was finding out that I now only have one un-kerbed wheel left :angry:

Looking good Watts. How do u find the Santiagos to clean?
They certainly look the dogs.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #751 on: 15 September 2016, 22:02 »
Cheers kalimon :smiley: They are a bit of a pain, particularly the deep grove behind the spokes. But not too bad, just need to keep on top of them. I think they look great especially against red. Having said that, I rather like the Austins too and they (at least) look a bit easier to maintain.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #752 on: 15 September 2016, 22:03 »
All four wheels off today, cleaned then treated to a coating of G-Techniq C2v3, will get a second coating on in the near future. Was pleased to see how little muck was on the barrels and the rear of the spokes. Calipers given a good clean too. Only disappointment was finding out that I now only have one un-kerbed wheel left :angry:

Nice job Watts.  C2 works really well on wheels topped up once a month or so. 

3 kerbed wheels though :sad:  At least that's one less than I had on my last GTI. You only have to look at diamond cuts the wrong way and they mark.  The very reason I chose powder coated Prets for the R.  That plus the fact I don't like Cadiz.

Prets have the same dirt trap groove as the Santiago's.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #753 on: 15 September 2016, 22:09 »

3 kerbed wheels though :sad:  At least that's one less than I had on my last GTI. You only have to look at diamond cuts the wrong way and they mark.  The very reason I chose powder coated Prets for the R.  That plus the fact I don't like Cadiz.

Thanks :smiley: They aren't marked too badly, just more than I realised. I'll wait a year or two more then get them refurbed unless a more significant event occurs...

Bet you are beside yourself for tomorrow! Hope all goes very well :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #754 on: 15 September 2016, 22:17 »

Thanks :smiley: They aren't marked too badly, just more than I realised. I'll wait a year or two more then get them refurbed unless a more significant event occurs...

Bet you are beside yourself for tomorrow! Hope all goes very well :smiley:

I'm looking forward to getting it back (and getting rid of the Micra), but feeling a little bit of trepidation about it. Silly really as I know the bodyshop is excellent as they have done previous stuff on my cars, but I guess none of us like having to have a load of repair work on their car and always a bit nervous about respray and blending.  We've had glorious sunshine for days here but heavy rain forecast tomorrow so hope I am able to inspect it properly.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #755 on: 16 September 2016, 12:54 »
Watts did you fnd the C2 really tacky before its first wash? I've done Bevs JCW and made a right hash of it, they now have minor dust particles embedded on the faces.

Don't get me wrong the product is brilliant, no swirls, no marks what so ever and its probably me being really particular and gutted that she can finally pick me up on something to do with car cleaning!

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #756 on: 16 September 2016, 14:15 »

Austins also have the gunge groove.
Must be a VW thing to piss owners off.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #757 on: 16 September 2016, 15:03 »
Watts did you fnd the C2 really tacky before its first wash? I've done Bevs JCW and made a right hash of it, they now have minor dust particles embedded on the faces.

Don't get me wrong the product is brilliant, no swirls, no marks what so ever and its probably me being really particular and gutted that she can finally pick me up on something to do with car cleaning!

Hi Neil, no, no problems at all. Just a quick spray and buffed straightaway. Did you leave it a while before buffing perhaps? Luckily for me my OH takes a solutely no notice whatsoever of my efforts at car cleaning. I could ask her what she thought of my latest wash if it hadn't been touched for a month and she'd say how shiny it was :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #758 on: 16 September 2016, 16:34 »

Neil, I've been using C2 on my wheels for months now and like Watts, never had any tackiness at all. I spray it on liberally and buff off straight away, leaves a really very slick finish.  Love it on wheel and glass but still wax for me on paintwork.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #759 on: 16 September 2016, 16:36 »

Austins also have the gunge groove.
Must be a VW thing to piss owners off.

Yeah, VW love that groove!  My mk6 GTI Glendales had it too, thought I would be free from it when moved to the mk7 but no such luck.  Still it makes the little Wheel Woollie earn its keep.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual