Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529737 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #420 on: 22 March 2016, 19:37 »

I thought it broke up the monotony of pictures of shiny cars, that's let's be honest, all look the same.

Yes I do agree with you. Not posted many pics of mine recently for that reason!

This morning as did a full interior clean using the dyson handheld and then Poorboys Natural look on the plastics, and finished off with fastglass all interior glass, and the 'infotainment' screen and the glass/plastic in front of the speedo/etc.

The dyson ran out half way through, so couldn't resist getting the pressure washer out for a quick snow foam wash, rinse and towel dry. I have one of those end stops on my garden hose and I bought a new connecter to plug in to make an open ended hose for the final rinse... works great I don't have to go and turn the tap off at the back of the house anymore and take the end stop off, shaving literally seconds off the washing time!  :wink: after I'd done the wash, the dyson had enough juice to finish the interior.

Didn't bother doing the wheels with wheel cleaner as they were only done last Friday and with the gTechniq C5 on, the brake dust just comes straight off with the pressure washer.

Finished off with a full exterior glass clean and dressed the tyres with natural look.

No seems to be ok, however getting a few swirl marks in the faux carbon fibre plastic on the cover for the USB port that is infront of the gear stick, and sometimes it doesn't seem to be long before the dust comes back to these parts.

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the poorboys... I was not putting enough on, and also not buffing off with a separate MF cloth... did that today and the faux carbon fibre plastic on the cover looks great now!
Dave, your thing about making an attachment to save you turning off the tap may sound ridiculous, but I have been meaning to do the exact same thing! Great minds obviously think alike :whistle:
Every second counts :laugh:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #421 on: 22 March 2016, 19:39 »

They do all look more or less the same, bar the colour, but come on!  For anyone new to detailing or trying out new stuff and spending hours on it, it's rewarding to take a few pics and post them up.  A detailing section without some pics thrown in would be a bit of a barren environment.  What you want is chat and pics IMO.  Better refrain from posting pics of mine for a while!

I know I said that, but on the other hand I also do agree Rebecca, it is rewarding to put up pics after you've spent hours detailing.... the other reason I haven't put many of mine up is it's usually starting to go dark by the time I've finished and I'm too knackered to put effort into taking them as well.
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #422 on: 22 March 2016, 19:58 »
Treated my Polo GTI to a wash and another layer of Collinite 845 Wax and cleaned the interior. The piano black interior trim around the air vents and on the centre console is a major dust magnet!  :angry: If anyone has any tips on what's best to clean this with, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. I've just been using a clean microfibre cloth and a soft small Valet Pro detailing brush.

Looks great.  :cool:

Regarding cleaning the piano black, use what you have been but also worth investing in a can of compressed air for blowing dust off (and in crevices) without touching.  It is a dust magnet but if more about what trim cleaner you use that can reduce build top of dust.  Get a cleaner with good anti-static properties which will help keep the trim dust free for longer.  But otherwise what you are using is fine.  I use Poorboys Natural Look Dressing applied on a WoWo MF and then buffed off with a clean MF. Use detailing brush (VP) and compressed air for the nooks.

Poorboys is fantastic stuff on all trim (and leather) and does keep the dust at bay for longer than many other trim cleaners.  Just go carefully to avoid scratching but the piano black is tougher than it looks.

Thanks Rebecca. Looks like Poorboys Natural Look Dressing will be added to my detailing arsenal. I'm hoping that Clean Your Car will have some form of Easter promotion, so I can get a bit more than the usual 5% discount that's available by using the DW05 code  :wink:

Goodness, this detailing malarkey is a bit of a money pit!  :grin:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #423 on: 22 March 2016, 20:08 »
Treated my Polo GTI to a wash and another layer of Collinite 845 Wax and cleaned the interior. The piano black interior trim around the air vents and on the centre console is a major dust magnet!  :angry: If anyone has any tips on what's best to clean this with, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. I've just been using a clean microfibre cloth and a soft small Valet Pro detailing brush.

Looks great.  :cool:

Regarding cleaning the piano black, use what you have been but also worth investing in a can of compressed air for blowing dust off (and in crevices) without touching.  It is a dust magnet but if more about what trim cleaner you use that can reduce build top of dust.  Get a cleaner with good anti-static properties which will help keep the trim dust free for longer.  But otherwise what you are using is fine.  I use Poorboys Natural Look Dressing applied on a WoWo MF and then buffed off with a clean MF. Use detailing brush (VP) and compressed air for the nooks.

Poorboys is fantastic stuff on all trim (and leather) and does keep the dust at bay for longer than many other trim cleaners.  Just go carefully to avoid scratching but the piano black is tougher than it looks.

Thanks Rebecca. Looks like Poorboys Natural Look Dressing will be added to my detailing arsenal. I'm hoping that Clean Your Car will have some form of Easter promotion, so I can get a bit more than the usual 5% discount that's available by using the DW05 code  :wink:

Goodness, this detailing malarkey is a bit of a money pit!  :grin:

SRGTD, if you do get some Poorboys, ignore the instructions on the bottle to spray it on. You can't spray it on it's far too thick. I once tried - disaster, lol. Instead apply it with a microfibre or on a foam applicator. I use an MF to apply.  I put a very generous blob onto the MF and then I squeeze the MF together to make sure there is a saturated area on the cloth then I apply it.  Once applied, Leave it for a few minutes and then buff of with a clean dry MF.  As Dave has found, you need to use a fair amount, but a bottle still lasts a long time.

And yes, this detailing malarkey ain't cheap! 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #424 on: 22 March 2016, 20:11 »
Thanks for the tip on using the Poorboys Rebecca.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #425 on: 22 March 2016, 20:17 »

They do all look more or less the same, bar the colour, but come on!  For anyone new to detailing or trying out new stuff and spending hours on it, it's rewarding to take a few pics and post them up.  A detailing section without some pics thrown in would be a bit of a barren environment.  What you want is chat and pics IMO.  Better refrain from posting pics of mine for a while!

I know I said that, but on the other hand I also do agree Rebecca, it is rewarding to put up pics after you've spent hours detailing.... the other reason I haven't put many of mine up is it's usually starting to go dark by the time I've finished and I'm too knackered to put effort into taking them as well.

It's up to the individual if they want to post pics.  It is time consuming, coming at the end of a tiring detail and especially if you are racing the light as you say.  But I wouldn't want to discourage people from posting them if they want to. Cars may look the same but to each person, it's their car, their achievement.  I'm not talking from a personal point of view and I can quite see how people might be sick of the sight of my car, fair enough, but I enjoy seeing other people's efforts and it would be lovely to see something other than a Mk7 now and then, including Polo GTI's and a rogue caravan.  :wink:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #426 on: 22 March 2016, 20:43 »
I would actually like to post more photos, as I'm quite into photography, but I need to find a better solution. Started off using photobucket, but switched to flikr as the interface is slightly better, and has a better (albeit 3rd party) app for Windows 10 mobile.

Yes, I am one of those odd people who does like windows phone :shocked:

I can now at least take pics with the phone and get them uploaded fairly easily, and do the posting later on my surface3. Of course I would be better off taking pics with my DSLR, but that's an even more drawn out process of importing into lightroom, etc

Would like to be able to just post pics just using my phone, as the Lumia 950 actually has a good camera, but I think that's difficult verging on impossible, especially for posting more than 1 at a time, as non of the apps give the BB code required for the forum.

Sorry, didn't mean to make a big thing of it... was just a frivolous remark really  :whistle: :cool:
« Last Edit: 22 March 2016, 20:56 by davewilliams000 »
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #427 on: 22 March 2016, 20:44 »
I better get some of the mk2 once it's had its full post winter detail. Since you lot are getting bored of mk7s ;)
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #428 on: 22 March 2016, 21:02 »
I would actually like to post more photos, as I'm quite into photography, but I need to find a better solution. Started off using photobucket, but switched to flikr as the interface is slightly better, and has a better (albeit 3rd party) app for Windows 10 mobile.

Yes, I am one of those odd people who does like windows phone :shocked:

I can now at least take pics with the phone and get them uploaded fairly easily, and do the posting later on my surface3. Of course I would be better off taking pics with my DSLR, but that's an even more drawn out process of importing into lightroom, etc

Would like to be able to just post pics just using my phone, as the Lumia 950 actually has a good camera, but I think that's difficult verging on impossible, especially for posting more than 1 at a time, as non of the apps give the BB code required for the forum.

Flickr is a faff for forum posting but then again I loath Photobucket.  The lack of BBcode options on Flickr's mobile site and app is ridiculous and even selecting the code on the full site on a device is a painful experience.  But they don't care, you only have to read the posts on Flickr and requests for BBcode and see the complete lack of response from Flickr to realise that. 

Not a photo hosting site as such, but someone on another forum told me about this site the other day and is pretty handy for uploading photos straight from devices and also uploading and copying/pasting links for multiple photos at a time. 

http://postimage.org 

You just upload the photos you want direct from your device/computer and tick family safe (leave the resizing option) and it will give you a variety of links.  The one I use is 'Hotlink for Forums 1' - copy and paste that into your post and voila!

I use a variety of cameras for car pics but usually whatever I have time for or is most convenient at the time.  My Canon 7D DSLR for best quality but as you say need Lightroom processing if shooting RAW, and that takes time.  At the moment my DSLR has a focussing problem and needs repairing but I might make the move to full frame at Christmas and go for the latest incarnation of the Canon 5D.  Maybe!  Most of the time atm I'm making do with a Canon EOS M CSC camera which is pretty good but woeful for lowlight photography. 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #429 on: 22 March 2016, 21:03 »
I better get some of the mk2 once it's had its full post winter detail. Since you lot are getting bored of mk7s ;)

Yeah come on Waspy we need you!  Nice to have you back. Did you have change of career in the end?
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual