Author Topic: Plane take off light trail  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Luke1981

• I live here
Plane take off light trail
« on: 06 January 2014, 18:12 »
I have copied this from a photography website. I live near Manchester airport and I think I'll give this a crack myself.
Just thought I would share.

[/URL][/img]
« Last Edit: 06 January 2014, 18:18 by Luke1981 »
MK IV GT TDI 150 PD / MKII CADDY SDI

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
Re: Plane take off light trail
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2014, 23:54 »
Light trails is such an easy thing todo but this looks light you might be sat there awhile waiting for planes to perfect it
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2014, 08:44 »
I've seen that photo quite a few times before, personally I thing the single trail is a little 'quiet' if you take a look at these you can see its a fine line between to quiet and then too busy.

http://cavemancircus.com/2011/05/12/14-awesome-long-exposure-shots-of-airplane-takeoffs/

It's going to be an interesting experiment.

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2014, 19:42 »
its a fine line between to quiet and then too busy.

http://cavemancircus.com/2011/05/12/14-awesome-long-exposure-shots-of-airplane-takeoffs/

From that page, I think this

And this

have got it just right.
You have to remember it's not just about the trails, it's also about the setting. Lots of streaks of light on their own are not necessarily that interesting but put them in a good scene and you'll do much better.
But this takes some experimentation which you can only do once you're in place.
You also can't guarantee that from the moment you start your long exposure that you'll get the right number of vehicles through the shot to make the trails look good.
From my experience, you need to take anywhere between 5 and 10 shots from one position to get a good shot.
You'll definitely need to experiment with the exposure times too, those plane trails will probably need 20seconds and upward.

Have fun.