Author Topic: Gnashers first DSLR  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Gnashers first DSLR
« on: 21 December 2013, 15:54 »
Well, Mrs Gnasher has just surprised me with (an amazon order for) a Nikon D3200 (the kit with the 18-55mm lens).  :smiley:

Always been a happy snapper with a Fujifilm bridge camera and a Panasonic compact which take decent 'snaps' but want to actually get into taking slightly better shots which will need a lot more manual settings (and me learning how to use them!) so hopefully when both the camera and car arrive I can get some decent photos taken!!
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
Re: Gnashers first DSLR
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2013, 17:32 »
I use the D3200 as a backup / portable alternative, cracking piece of kit; good choice by the Mrs  :smiley:

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2013, 23:57 »
Same as what I've got good little camera although I am looking at upgrading, you might find the 18-55 a little restrictive so worth getting something like Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, also have this and it's a very good lens for the price at only £375 also being an FX lens if you upgrade to to full frame will still work  :smiley:
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2013, 07:00 »
Glad you guys think it's a good buy!

I'll probably look into another lens in a few months time - first thing is to get used to it. I was thinking about something like the 55-300mm lens (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-55-300mm-4-5-5-6G/dp/B003ZSHNCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387695284&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+55+300) as a good value lens. I reckon spending £350+ on a lens is slightly out of my reach considering the camera is only £339 lol.

Expect lots new threads with questions on soon!
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline justalex81

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2013, 09:40 »
just make sure the lens has image stabilisation. enjoy your new hobby. the camera is just the beginning  :laugh:

next there's the bag, bigger memory card, another battery, tripod, flash yada yada yada

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2013, 11:06 »
One thing you need to check when buying stuff from Amazon and check your camera as well, make sure the warranty docs are from Nikon Europe, you will find a lot of things from amazon are imports from the US, japan and china, if this is the chase you if something goes wrong it will be very hard to get sorted. Nikon Europe will only deal with European lens so be warned!

As far as the other lens goes it might be worth if you don't wanna spend much to start off with looking at something like this Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di with AF Motor - Nikon Fit, only £129 from WEX, very good lens for the price
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2013, 18:23 »
Wouldn't be too worried about IS it is useful but far from essential.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2013, 18:33 »
enjoy your new hobby. the camera is just the beginning  :laugh:

next there's the bag, bigger memory card, another battery, tripod, flash yada yada yada

aint that the truth, thankfully mine cam with spare batteries, card, timelapse timer and a few other goodies.

second lens and bag are on santas list

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2013, 20:53 »
just make sure the lens has image stabilisation.

Pfft, image stabilisation is something to make up for a slow lens.  Just get some fast glass.  If you're on a crop sensor pick up a 35mm prime lens, full-frame get 50mm prime.

Maybe something like this:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/nikon_35_1p8g_n15
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2013, 21:45 »
Image stabilisation isn't essential. Even the expensive Canon 24-70 f2.8 L (over a grand) doesn't have image stabilisation.

This was taken with that Tamron 70-300 LD DI Macro mentioned (with no IS), handheld at 300mm.

To the point by AlistairBeavis, on Flickr

I don't use long lenses enough to make it worth spending lots on a long lens with IS.

As said, start shooting, then get a 35mm or 50mm prime later.

Enjoy your new camera.