Author Topic: Asked to do a wedding for a friend....  (Read 1737 times)

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Asked to do a wedding for a friend....
« on: 05 November 2013, 18:01 »
I have been asked to shoot a wedding informally for a friend next year, they don't want a photographer as they cant afford the cost. My sister is the bridesmaid and she was the one that offered me up.  I made sure they don't have any expectations of super quality photos or anything which eased me slightly ( I really don't mind and will revel the challenge of making them an album/video) I am sure there will be a few beer tokens thrown my way.

I have a Canon 5D mk3 and I am considering purchasing another body as I want to capture as much as possible and to save switching lenses.  Here is the dilemma which one do I go for?

Canon Eos M (used £200 - new £350) there is cashback to be had aswell.
Canon 100d (used £300 - £380) there is cashback to be had aswell.
Canon 650d or 700d (£350- £450)
Other options?

It will either be new or used.

I like the idea of these bodies as they auto focus when doing movies that the 5D mk3 doesn't.

I also have to shoot with (so I figured the 70-200 on the 5dmk3 and the 16-35 on the 1.6x crops as this will be 28-60mm).

16-35mm F/2.8L USM Mk2
24-70 F/2.8L USM mk1
70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM mk2

What do you reckon, sounds like a good excuse to buy a second body.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
Re: Asked to do a wedding for a friend....
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2013, 18:47 »
If you don't already have one I'd go for a quality flash like the 600EX, even with fast glass you're going to want a good fill light; the flash will give you much better focus in low light, and dramatically enhance your photos.

having a second body is nice as you'll be able to quickly change between the 24-70 and 70-200, that said the day will go like this;

shoot the bride getting ready, all indoors no need to change lens
bride drives to church (you might want a long shot then switch to wide here)
father walks bride down aisle (wide angle as you'll be close).
shot the ceremony (depends on where the vicar lets you stand) / registry office again probably wide because it's a small room.
posed shots outside (you organise these so you should choose the lens and go quickly swap lens whilst giving instruction).
reception / party, this is really the only time where the quick swap is handy if you're floating as you'll be looking for candid shots from range and odds are will be asked to photograph groups of people.

All of these situations can be dealt with by a quick lens change.

Auto focus on movies is nice but those cheap bodies will odds are have a rolling shutter, which is probably a downgrade from the 5d, and who actually uses auto focus when shooting movies on a dslr?

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2013, 19:34 »
Thanks that is some good advice. I do have a 430EXII already, which should cope ok. I have shot a wedding before as a guest and used my 7D with a 17-55mm and the 70-200mm carrying the 70-200 in the bag that's supplied with it and swapping the lens when necessary. I do intend to have a conversation about a schedule, an I will have some time the day before to do some pre-landscape filler shots for setting the scene and also check out places to take pictures. I should also say that its in Scotland and will be very scenic.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2013, 23:13 »
If you are the main/only shooter, I doubt you'll have a chance to do video as well as shoot, because all the bits that want videoing are the bits that want photographing, unless you plan to put a camera on a tripod and leave it.

Two bodies is very useful as said, you can have 2 lenses on the go at once.
I would have the 24-70 on the 5D3 and the 70-200 on the crop body. You won't want the 70-200 all day, you can put that down at various points and the range of the 24-70 (and f2.8 on full frame) will be enough to shoot a lot of the day.

If you're not being paid, I'd try to borrow a crop sensor body off someone rather than payout for a body that for 95% of the time you're not going to use. If you can do that, but still want to spend some money, I'd get a good 50mm prime, the f1.2 L is what I'd get, (I loved the one I borrowed) or the f1.4 is good for £250.

As for lens choice during the day, I'd say that it can depend on the venue.
If it's in a pretty church or country house, you can go for wider lenses to capture the pretty location, but if it's a simple registry office, function room or in a marquee, you'll want to go close with a longer lens to focus on the couple and eliminate the less pretty venue.
Obviously you don't have to stick to just these, and having other decent lenses on hand gives you options.

I photographed an Arabic wedding in June and they had a traditional procession with drummers and chanting and stuff that took about 20mins before the ceremony started. For that I had 2 cameras on the go, one with the 24-70 f2.8 and one with a 70-210 f4. This covered all bases. Then once they'd moved into the marquee with horrid lighting, I mostly used the 24-70.

But it's all down to how you want to capture it.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2013, 00:04 »
A rude (but very good) French hipster-film-junkie mate borrowed my 5D2 and 24-70 F2.8 to do a mutual friend's wedding a couple of months ago and was not rude about the combo.  I was surprised. 

If you're in churches/small venues especially a church where they won't want flashes I think you're going to struggle to get better than your 5D3 and 24-70 F2.8

I really would can the idea of doing video AND stills.  Do one or the other, or shaft yourself.

That said.... GoPro on top of the main body?

Reportage style all the way as you're going to be on the hoof without experience and you're going to struggle to deliver 'wedding photographer' images straight out the traps, so make it your own style instead.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2013, 12:11 »
Thanks everybody, there is alot of useful information coming out of here. I dont have a go pro but did consider somehow taping my panasonic tz20 to my 5D mk3. Sometimes, just capturing a smidge of video might catch a hilarious moment to be remembered forever. Although I do agree you cannot do both so might just ditch that and collect copies of others videos anyway I am pretty nifty with photoshop/video editing and have made DVD's with video/pictures on before (thats where the time gets eaten).  There will be other people and other cameras, but I dont think anything in the SLR region, who knows.  As far as I am aware its a mini castle in scotland whatever that maybe so not a registry office. Will find out more closer to the time. I was just looking at the Canon Winter Cashback, time to familiarise myself with another body.  Opportunity for money towards Chrimbo/birthday presents e.t.c.

I certrainly dont claim to be any sort of wedding photographer but in the turn of nobody does it and I do it then I will give it a good shot.