Author Topic: No mode button at gear area  (Read 10057 times)

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
Re: No mode button at gear area
« Reply #10 on: 14 March 2018, 12:23 »
Do you have the radar sensor in the front grill? There were quite a few grey imports that didnt' have them.
Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 14 March 2018, 16:40 »
Do you have the radar sensor in the front grill? There were quite a few grey imports that didnt' have them.

Friend of mine got one of the first Mk7 GTi's in the UK and it didn't have the radar either.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Plodalong

• Just got here
« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2018, 19:22 »
Thanks everyone for your help. Turns out the car is an import from Malta and none of this was recorded on the log book. The dealer, who was also unaware, is going to replace it for me and allowing me to hold on to it until he sources me a suitable replacement.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2018, 20:03 by Plodalong »
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right.
White 16 GTI PP.

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 14 March 2018, 20:43 »
 :shocked:

Seriously, the dealer didn't know it was an import from Malta? Surely they at least would have done a HPI or similar check? Holy gearstick, I think this is mad. At least they are sorting it for you so that's good. Did you buy it from a V.W main dealer?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 14 March 2018, 21:32 »
dealer "didn't know" yeah ok... more like "hoped you didn't spot it"

Imported is not something that you want to tell your insurer...

You have told the insurer?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Plodalong

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 14 March 2018, 22:01 »
Bought at a local independent trader. I do actually believe him as the auction house in Scotland have agreed to refund him as they hadn't been aware either and nothing showed up with the HPI check.
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right.
White 16 GTI PP.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 14 March 2018, 22:08 »
Didn't Motorpoint bring in loads of Mk7 GTi's and GTD's from Malta and Cyprus?

They'd be first registered in UK but would be missing various random bits of standard UK spec. Some IIRC even had xenon headlights missing and fitted with halogens instead.
7.5 GTD

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 14 March 2018, 22:20 »
Very early Irish cars had terrible spec. Halogens, 17’s, no climate, no radar and a bunch of other stuff. This was dramatically changed from late 2014 onwards. Irish cars are now better spec’d than U.K.!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 15 March 2018, 07:32 »
Great result! Hope the replacement car is a gem.

Shows the power of forum knowledge!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 15 March 2018, 08:38 »
Bought at a local independent trader. I do actually believe him as the auction house in Scotland have agreed to refund him as they hadn't been aware either and nothing showed up with the HPI check.

O.K. A pretty big whoopsie on the dealers part but at least you are getting it sorted anyway, that's the main thing. Surprised nothing showed up on the HPI check. It will show the date of first registration as well as the date of first registration in the U.K. The V5 will also show this. If those two dates don't match, it means that the date of first registration was not in the U.K. If it was imported as new/unregistered and first registered in the U.K. then that might explain things. Regardless, it's hard to believe this slipped through the net of an auction company, a dealer and a buyer - well maybe technically not the buyer as it was discovered, albeit after the sale took place... I suppose the moral of the story here is the old favorite of buyer beware!

Hope the fix to this problem goes well for you. You may end up with a better car as a replacement - it will have a mode button this time at least  :wink: