Author Topic: Clutch slipping  (Read 20840 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Clutch slipping
« Reply #70 on: 20 March 2018, 22:44 »
With the warmer weather today, I got a chance to try and replicate slip on the way home.

Ambient temp was around 7C this afternoon. 3 miles into my commute home, I managed to instigate slip in 4th to occur between 3100 and 3500rpm (higher engine speed than the weekend). The car had been in the shade all day, so stone cold tyres.

Tried again in 4th up a very steep incline (the sliproad up to A1 northbound from Scotswood Road in Newcastle) - didn't happen in 4th, but a little slip in 5th for a second at about 3000 revs - about 5 miles into my commute.

Tried to instigate 3 times in 4th and 5th much later on in the commute and didn't happen.

A little tyre traction loss which is much worse in cold ambient temp and before the tyres have warmed up? I have noticed a little fade on grip on my PSS tyres in low temps vs last Winter when pushing moderately hard on a bend (still a lot better than the Bridgestones).

Maybe some weird settling/contamination on the clutch plates related to very little use lately (the R has done about 1000 miles since Christmas, some weeks it doesn't move between Monday and Friday) that has been scrubbed off with a few slips?

Might make my local dealership aware of it so that it is logged with mileage, even if the issue doesn't happen again for a while.

Anyone else had intermittent slippage rather than slippage you could replicate on demand? Does clutch slippage usually cause a rapid increase in revs rather than a slow creep of 300rpm over a few seconds as I observed? Does slippage abate on it's own if you don't ease off the throttle immediately (again this is what happened to me, the car's progress "caught up").
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #71 on: 21 March 2018, 13:02 »
I used to get it when I had a tuning box fitted and could recreate it most of the time when tried. I guess my clutch was marginal when it was built. Once back to standard I couldn't replicate the fault with it so have left it off for the time being.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #72 on: 21 March 2018, 15:47 »
My R's gearchange (the feel through the gearstick while changing) has always felt a little rough, reminiscent of a Ford Transit 2.5 Diesel - almost feels "ridgy". Probably twice a month, either going into 1st from neutral after a stop-start stop in traffic, or being in 6th and dropping to 3rd for a blast, the gearstick feels like it's not going to go in and to do so you'd have to force it, so I put it in another gear (without bringing the clutch back up) and the back into the intended 1st or 3rd.

I always felt the 2 things were related, and although the non-change was too infrequent to replicate, the ridgy feeling of the gear change was always there.

Have brought it up on multiple visits and always been fobbed off - "it's running in, will get smoother" or "the gearbox is a bit agricultural to handle the extra power".

Had 9 VAGs from new and every single one had a smoother box/change. Wonder whether something has been put together very slightly out of alignment on the drivetrain (clutch/gearbox/flywheel) from the factory, and related to this clutch slip?

I don't ride the clutch nor use it as a footrest.

Seems I have a few options, most costing big money:-

1. Take it to VW. Won't touch it unless they can replucate the slip. If they do replicate the slip they open it up, decide it's "normal" wear and charge me almost £600 to put it back together.

2. As per 1, but they find a manufacturing related fault and replace.

3. Bite the bullet and get a Sachs Organic clutch at my cost for £900 fitted if the flywheel isn't goosed too.

4. P/x or sell way earlier than intended and suffer more depreciation.

After dieselgate money saving, bet VW won't approve option 2 unless fault is conclusively VW's fault.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2018, 16:06 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Jdm owner

• Not said much yet
« Reply #73 on: 04 April 2018, 17:17 »
Mine started slipping after Apr low map on mine PP" Manual.
It's the increase in torque the standard unit can't handle.
Now upgraded to a Sachs unit and high torque map it's a beast. :laugh:

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #74 on: 05 April 2018, 10:24 »
Mine started slipping after Apr low map on mine PP" Manual.
It's the increase in torque the standard unit can't handle.
Now upgraded to a Sachs unit and high torque map it's a beast. :laugh:

How do you find the Sachs unit?

Did you go for the organic plate or the upgraded Sintered plate?

Any additional noise / chatter over standard?

I understand pedal feel improves with mileage.

Really want to go with a stage 1 tune so looking at clutch options.
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.