Author Topic: Small bumper mk2 16v bought blind from ebay  (Read 3675 times)

Offline twotwofour

• GTI forum regular
Small bumper mk2 16v bought blind from ebay
« on: 06 August 2012, 12:20 »
I had a few quid spare and really desperately wanted a mk1 golf gti, so i had a look on ebay and bought a 3 door mk2 16v.  :laugh:
It was miles away from my house and when i spoke to the owner it had recently run and didnt have mot or tax anymore so i sent a collection company to get it. It looked great in the pictures and for the price i was willing to take a gamble.
It arrived at mine a couple of days later and wouldnt start. The battery was flat. I swapped the battery and it started first turn. Awesome but it just didnt want to idle. That was soon fixed with the replacement of the temp sensors on the head and some new wire and connectors. Its still not perfect as it the exhaust manifold is leaking. I managed to snap up a Miltek manifold so thats ready to go on.

Its currently sat in my garage minus some windows having a few rust issues fixed but on the whole its solid and pretty quick.

Not keen on the wheels and would happily swap for some BBS or maybe steel wheels.

Here she is as i bought her.

This is some pics of her that i found on the web and from the original ebay advert

Theres lots to do to it and i'll keep folks up to date.

Quite fancy a new interior, widetrack with 5 stud wheels, oem+ with subtle mods from slightly newer models.

I've had it 3 months now and the rust is nearly all sorted. Already sourced lots of new bits. Should hopefully see a full respray in the stock colour before winter. Hopefully all ready to go by next years show season.

Anyone know the car?
---------------------------------------
Mk2 small bumper 16v 3dr golf gti
Mk3 5dr 8v golf gti x2
Need a mk1 gti, mk1 caddy, mk3 vr6

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: Small bumper mk2 16v bought blind from ebay
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2012, 13:36 »
Shame you didn't find a suitable mk1 but this one sounds good.

For some reason I can't see the pics though....

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
Re: Small bumper mk2 16v bought blind from ebay
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2012, 13:38 »
I can't see pics either unless i copy them into my browser. Looks a good buy, considering! :grin: :cool: