Author Topic: G'day  (Read 897 times)

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
G'day
« on: 08 February 2018, 11:35 »
Been lurking here for a little while with the odd comment or two, so thought it about time I introduced myself.

I'm in Australia.

First car was way back in 1976 - a used VW 1600 Superbug.  After two years I traded that on my first new car - a 1978 Mk1 Golf GLS in Miami Blue.  This one a I kept for four years and from 1982 until 2007 it was a procession of Toyotas, a Fiat 131 Superbrava, more Toyotas, various Subaru Libertys (Legacy) and an Alfa 147 which I traded in to rejoin my roots in a 2007 Mk5 Golf GTI (tornado red, manual with leather). 

I kept the Mk5 GTI for ten years and I had never been so happy with a car in all my life - man I loved that thing.  But at 100,000kms (60k miles) it required some suspension work.  After sending myself near insane reading up on every possible spring/damper configuration I got myself into such a state of confusion.  In my bewildered state of mind I took a new 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline 110TSi (150bhp) manual for a test drive.  Somehow (and I'm not sure how), I managed to convince myself that this was the car.  So I signed the deal and my beloved GTI was gone.  Of course, it took little time for serious buyers remorse to set in when the cold light of day hit home and I realised what I had done. Parting with that car was by far the hardest vehicle change-over of my life.  My head was saying "yeah, Trendline", but my heart was screaming "nooooooooo....."  Should have listened to my heart.

Fast forward five months and there I sat, back at the VW dealer, in the same seat signing another new purchase contract.  This time, a tornado red Golf GTI 7.5 in manual with DAP.  I was coming home.  To my surprise the dealer bettered my speculative trade-in figure - and to boot I scored a significant discount off the new GTI (approx 10%) courtesy of a VW Aus sales campaign.  It was meant to be.  Man, you could not wipe the grin off my face for days - the car I really wanted in the first place, plus a killer deal! 

The hard part is the ~4.5 month wait for delivery. But on the flipside, it's nice to know my car will be a 2018 plate.

So there we have it.  Back to where my heart is.

Cheers
Steven
« Last Edit: 16 June 2018, 06:06 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Online Watts

• Forum addict
Re: G'day
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2018, 15:23 »
Nice one Steven, hope you enjoy your new GTI as much as your Mk5. Great taste in colour too :wink:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.