Author Topic: (Another) Newbie...ED35 finally here!  (Read 22587 times)

Offline wigit

• I live here
Re: (Another) Newbie...ED35 finally here!
« Reply #130 on: 25 July 2012, 23:22 »
looking good

Offline Edi35

• Here all the time
« Reply #131 on: 26 July 2012, 00:10 »
My ED35 has 8500 miles on the clock now and only one stone chip about 1.5mm on the bonnet which now I had touched and polished you can't see, therefore VS not for me and looks odd too. Might as well have bonnet bra  :laugh: my CW MK6 had only a handful of chips after 2.5 years too.  :smiley:
Current: GTI Edition 35 Candy White 5dr DSG 19" Glendale, RCD510+DAB, Dynaudio, Storage Pack, Parking Sensors

Gone: Edition 35, GTI Mk6, Edition 30, GTI Mk4, GTI Mk3, GTI Mk2 and my favourite the UR quattro
For those that dont know DSG is an electronically controlled dual-clutch multiple-shaft manual gearbox

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #132 on: 26 July 2012, 00:11 »
i caught a chip on bonnet edge, i'm over it now  :angry:

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #133 on: 26 July 2012, 00:27 »
Looks very smart that :cool:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #134 on: 26 July 2012, 00:49 »
There is an option to only have half the bonnet done, I went for the full bonnet so the only line you see is on the wings. It's slightly more obvious there as it was just after polishing and waxing. Covertech midlands are the company that did mine, they do loads for Ducati Coventry and also Morgan at the factory, and charged around the £500 mark.

I know it's not to everyone's taste and that's fair enough, but after the state of the front of my last 2 vehicles after just a couple of year's it's almost a no brainer now for me. The streak effect on the bonnet has pretty much faded entirely now it's had a couple of days with the sun on it.

From a couple of feet away even the keenest detailed wouldn't notice when looking from the front until they're given a heads up :) After looking around after mine being done there are more as covered than you'd think.

Each to there own and all that and it's definately worth doing if you do a lot of miles but if you had the whole bonnet done i would of had the whole wing done too.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
« Reply #135 on: 26 July 2012, 06:12 »
Very nice mate!

Offline Rislar

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #136 on: 26 July 2012, 09:53 »
Got to agree with everyone here, its the dogs doodars  :cool:

Offline Big_Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #137 on: 29 July 2012, 21:17 »
My ED35 has 8500 miles on the clock now and only one stone chip about 1.5mm on the bonnet which now I had touched and polished you can't see, therefore VS not for me and looks odd too. Might as well have bonnet bra  :laugh: my CW MK6 had only a handful of chips after 2.5 years too.  :smiley:

Definitely wouldn't be having a bonnet bra...they look crap! You can't tell it's there now apart from the line on the wing (and boot lip, I forgot to mention). If you look at the front bumper and headlights you definitely can't tell it's there. Either way, it's on to stay.  :smiley:

Jimble, there was an option to have the wings done completely but didn't get a price for it, as that would have to be custom installed. The rest is a pre-cut kit from VS. Also, where the film ends on the wings there is a curve that might disguise any colour discrepancy (the door and back of the wing are on the same plane do any colour difference would be noticeable). Turns out I didn't need to worry about a colour difference. Apparently 3M VentureShield is the only one that is optically clear, as it's legal to use on headlights, and doesn't fade over the years.

Cheers for the compliments Rislar and Ginge!

Carbon Grey Edition 35, DSG, ACC, Cruise Control, Luxury Pack, RCD 510, TPMS

Offline Big_Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #138 on: 14 August 2012, 14:09 »
Car's going in for its 1k checkup tomorrow after passing the 1000 mile mark last week whilst going to see the parents. Peak district roads were immense in the ED35, and the car transformed when using all the rev range into a properly quick, fun hatch. Still gets admiring glances and the lads at home (after initially taking the p*ss out of it being a 5 door) think it's brilliant now that they've seen it in the flesh. Took me nearly an hour to get in the pub with people asking about it!

When I called at the dealer to book it in yesterday, there was an identical ED35 with 'sold' in the window. Appears a few people have good taste  :cool:
Carbon Grey Edition 35, DSG, ACC, Cruise Control, Luxury Pack, RCD 510, TPMS