Author Topic: mk1 mid life crisis! 1991 clipper cabrio project w/pics and tdi engine  (Read 3018 times)

Offline ukvolkswagger

• GTI forum regular
  • Parts for sale and computerised diagnostics VCDS
]Hi all after owning many Corrados and Golf GTI's  and currently own a mk5 I have bit the bullet  finally  bought myself a 1991 mk1 Golf Cabriolet clipper in red which is in need of some TLC and it also has a AHU mk3 golf tdi engine.
I wanted to originally buy a super clean late model Cabrio and put a PD 130 ASZ 1.9 tdi engine and put my alloys on and then this car came along and I couldnt refuse it so I began the long trek to Cambridgeshire from Yorkshire to buy and collect it.
now I have it in my possession I now know what this car needs to be presentable and drivable

bad points are as follows:
clutch slipping (new clutch)
both front wheel bearings (noisy)
heater motor not working (came with a new one just fitted)
wiper mechanism seized on one spindle and motor burnt out (should i replace or repair?)
scuttle panel needs section repair
drivers door needs replacing due to poor repair to handle area
bootlid needs replacing (rust)
grey carpet loose (going to try fit it back up to sills)
n/s/r quarter needs rust treatment just under the hood (see pic)
Good bits:
coilovers
fully working electric hood and windows
original interior in fair condition
All I did was put the Porsche wheels on and it looks a bit brighter now, I was gonna paint it Flash Red like the Sportline because that is my favourite mk1 but i have recently acquired a 1992 Rivage Cabriolet what needs a full paint so I just want to use this car to commute to and from work until this Rivage is painted which wont be cheap I will have 1500 in this car when all the above bad points are done on this car do you think  this is too much

« Last Edit: 17 November 2013, 19:42 by ukvolkswagger »
Ukvolkswaggger
Full VCDS, Vag-Tacho,
Can Do:
MK4,MK5 and 6 Golf
all VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat from 1996 to Date
Auto windows when raining
Directional Fog lights
Coming Home Lights
Anti Hijack Locking
Miles To Empty,
Remote Windows,
Alarm Beeps
Illuminated Needles

VAG-Com Location List ¦ Recommended Wheel Refurb Places ¦ ¦ Useful DIY Guides MK3
tel or whatsapp: 07850 684 137

Offline ukvolkswagger

• GTI forum regular
  • Parts for sale and computerised diagnostics VCDS
Re: mk1 mid life crisis! 1991 clipper cabrio project w/pics
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2013, 18:22 »
Now fixed the heater motor and i must say it was an easy job! its now nice and toasty in there!
I also took the passenger seat out to see if a big red paint stain would come out, which it did surprisingly.

I am going to take out the carpet and seats and hire a carpet cleaner to clean them all next week

Plus the clutch is now done it seemed like the gearbox seal let go over the previously installed clutch! new one cost £75 plus £75 fitting so its just the wheel bearings wiper mechanism/motor to sort so its reliable

Does anyone know the best way to cure this? its the main part im struggling with

« Last Edit: 17 November 2013, 18:44 by ukvolkswagger »
Ukvolkswaggger
Full VCDS, Vag-Tacho,
Can Do:
MK4,MK5 and 6 Golf
all VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat from 1996 to Date
Auto windows when raining
Directional Fog lights
Coming Home Lights
Anti Hijack Locking
Miles To Empty,
Remote Windows,
Alarm Beeps
Illuminated Needles

VAG-Com Location List ¦ Recommended Wheel Refurb Places ¦ ¦ Useful DIY Guides MK3
tel or whatsapp: 07850 684 137