Author Topic: Recommended dash cam?  (Read 8164 times)

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Re: Recommended dash cam?
« Reply #20 on: 29 March 2018, 10:25 »
My mate's got an F770 in his car. He loves the quality, but it's a big bugger isn't it ? Helps that it doesn't have a screen and can sort of lie flat. He did tell me that the app he has to go with it seriously needs updating for the 21st century, and looks very dated, but he said he can't deny the quality. It's certainly one to add to the list.

For you other guys with the models with screens (most of the Nextbase ones), can you confirm that you can set the screen to be permanently off or is it on all the time (think that would be a distraction ?
i have a mio myvue with a screen, the mounting isn’t brilliant but it doesn’t fall off, but I don’t find the screen a distraction to be honest, only real time I know it’s there is when a passenger knocks it with the sun visor or I hit a big pot hole and it beeps to because it’s gone into emergency mode

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 15 April 2018, 21:46 »
I have recently hardwired my Nextbase 512GW

I purchased a Bojo Genius Trim Tool Set before I started which made the whole job so much simpler, be it lifting the panels, popping the clips and feeding the wire under the airbag to name just a few of the benefits.

I used the Nextbase hardwire kit NBDVRHK-RP.
Feed from F40a ATO 20amp cigerette lighter, electrical socket fuse slot, Page 291 Owners Manual.

The How-To links on here were superb, thank you the Forum and its members.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 16 April 2018, 06:39 »

For you other guys with the models with screens (most of the Nextbase ones), can you confirm that you can set the screen to be permanently off or is it on all the time (think that would be a distraction ?

On the Nextbase you can set the screen to go into standby - I've got mine set to 2mins. You tend to look at it for the first few days after getting it then you just forget its there. Even passengers don't really seem to notice it.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 16 April 2018, 06:41 »
I have recently hardwired my Nextbase 512GW

I purchased a Bojo Genius Trim Tool Set before I started which made the whole job so much simpler, be it lifting the panels, popping the clips and feeding the wire under the airbag to name just a few of the benefits.

I used the Nextbase hardwire kit NBDVRHK-RP.
Feed from F40a ATO 20amp cigerette lighter, electrical socket fuse slot, Page 291 Owners Manual.

The How-To links on here were superb, thank you the Forum and its members.

So trim tool kit - £10?
Hardware kit - £12?

Halfords charge £30 fully installed including the hardwire kit. No brainer for most people I'd say!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 16 April 2018, 07:28 »
If you can do it yourself then it's much better than having Halfords touching your car! So the no brainer is doing it yourself.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 16 April 2018, 08:23 »
Been looking for a dash cam for a while and was going to go for the thinkware, but then I received an email from my credit card company to say that my reward points (which I didn't even know that I had), would expire in about 2 weeks. So I checked and I could order basically anything from the Argos catalogue, and decided on the Nextbase 512GW, which cost me absolutely nowt, (zero, Nada) and with 4 points left to spare  ;D

It wouldn't have been my first choice, as it's a bit big and has a screen, but for free, I couldn't really argue, and it did seem to get the best reviews on Argos. Now just need to work out how I am going to fit it. I've seen that I can replace the large (horrible) sucker mount with a smaller aftermarket adhesive mount that suggests that it makes the whole thing much more low profile. Guess I'll have to wait until it turns up to see. What's everyone's opinions on this camera ?
« Last Edit: 16 April 2018, 08:25 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 16 April 2018, 09:39 »
Picked up the BlackVue DR750S-2CH including the Power Magic Pro module at a trade fair in Las Vegas last year for the silly price of £180 all in.

Installed it myself (all wires hidden) and couldn't be happier. Picture quality is superb and can access footage via the cloud on my iPhone.

MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline cossiegaz82

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 16 April 2018, 10:51 »
I've got a Nextbase 412GW in my van and that's pretty good. Picture quality is good and it's not too big to be a distraction.

The only slight negatives are that it takes ages to download from the camera to the phone and the auto save function is far too sensitive even on the lowest setting and would auto save even going slowly over a speed bump! Lol! Not a problem, just turned it off altogether, if I need to save a recording I press save, jobs a goodun  :smiley:

As for getting Halfords to fit it, I'd sooner stick a fork in my eye! Quite a lot of them struggle fitting bulbs and batteries! I've been called out a few times to cars after they've replaced this, that and the other and put things in wrong or left stuff loose. I'm not saying they're all bad but they're definitely not all good! Lol!
« Last Edit: 16 April 2018, 10:57 by cossiegaz82 »

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 20 April 2018, 14:08 »
For anyone that has a dashcam and is worried about the voltage the Power Magic Pro is on offer at Halfrauds at the moment for £20 Not sure how long it will last.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cam-accessories/blackvue-power-magic-pro?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=xmqwxpaqti&istBid=tztx?_$ja=tsid:73619|cid:1776684|cgid:177668430897846|crid:961801377%20%20%20%20%20&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=paid_social&utm_campaign=HL1-Halfords-Halfords-Paid_Social-DPA&dclid=CP_ep9n0yNoCFWsT0wodulkE2g

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 01 May 2018, 17:38 »
Sootchucker;
The 512GW camera comes with the adhisive stick-on bracket and the sucker bracket as standard!
You should not have to buy it as an extra, if your asked to pay extra someone is pulling a fast one on you.

I suggest you join the Dash Cam forum, enter the Nextbase page and ask Tiffany the Nextbase Technical Advisor who is always on there for her suggested route to a free adhesive bracket.

Jim,
The screen can be set to 'go off' at any time you choose.
I always set both my Nextbase cams to blank the screen after 30secs.
Having a screen helps setting it up accurately, you can also remove it from the car and use it as a handheld for 2mins.

Best thing about the BOJO tools is they are made for the job from nylon reinforced plastic so they do not damage the trim.
Ownership of the correct tools means they can be used many times for other work that requires trim removal eg; assisting me to fit a dash cam to my wifes car.