Author Topic: Madone - Mk1 Golf Cab GTI - 'BLACK SOY'  (Read 94377 times)

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
Re: Madone - Mk1 Golf Cab GTI - 'BLACK SOY'
« Reply #20 on: 29 April 2006, 15:10 »
I now need to install coilovers on the car, so I can really lower the car more :cool:
« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 07:03 by Madone_si »
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 11 May 2006, 16:32 »
Well yesterday was Xmas for me...

My reconditioned Gearbox turned up from C&R enterprises :)  :grin: :grin: :grin: - it just needs a clean up and spray to match the car colour  :smug: Also got myself new outer window rubbers as mine had split and where moving around.

I will upload pictures of taking out current gearbox and install new one in the next few weeks, might even add a guide of how to do this as well....

I'll be installing KW coilovers next month as well... might get Lewy boy to help me install then at the RAF base?????!!!
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2006, 00:23 »
Well been busy today, below is what I've been working on the car (pictures will be uploaded on monday)

1. Took engine out of the car - so to replace gearbox with my new one - I didn't paint the reconditioned gearbox in the end to match the car as this will be done later in the year.
2. Replaced new gearbox and mounted onto engine
3. Took complete gear linkage out and cleaned up and re-installed
4. Engine mounts required replacing so I bought from GSF a complete Prothane Bush kit containing the following;

(note the side mounts you still use the original mounts, but put Prothane mounts in between the original ones - The new mounts really made alot of difference as I don't get alot of engine movement now 

Ft Trailing Arm busing Set 75-84
Rr - Axle Bushing kit 75-84
Ft Motor Mount - Installed
Rr Motor Mount - Installed
Motor Mount insert 2.530 DIA L or R - Installed
Motor Mount insert 2.943 DIA L or R - Installed

Rack and Pinion Bushing kit 75-84
Rr Shock tower bushing set 75-84
Strut Adjustable Bump Stop 75-84

Will be install other bushs later on.

5. While all engine parts where out I cleaned up the injection system internally as car had started to play up the last few days with rough tick over and running
6. Re-installed engine and gearbox and connected everything back up
7. When setting up the Gearbox linkage - use the following steps to set correctly - http://www.geocities.com/jonnyguru/vw/shifter.html

8. took the car out for a test drive - its now perfect in every gear - happy :)

Tomorrow (Sunday)
I am working on the front wings and front bumper as they will be resprayed - that should keep me busy for all sunday ;)
« Last Edit: 28 May 2006, 00:33 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 02 June 2006, 00:52 »
Got problems with my new gearbox, so it will be coming out of the car tomorrow and will get sent back. I've got another new gearbox turning up tomorrow - so hopefully I will have the additional new gearbox back in car on sat and working for this sunday Stoner Park show.... if all goes to plan that is.....!!!!!!

The joy of cars......!!
« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 07:47 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 24 June 2006, 18:03 »
So with issues with the new gearbox, I worked on the car two weeks ago to swop the gearbox out again and replace with another new one. Lets just say the 2nd new gearbox is lovely and I'm very happy, I also replaced the engine mounts with standard ones again, as the new upgraded ones just transfered too much vibration for me into the car.

So I went to the USA over the last 16 days for work and so no work at all on the car.... :( but today I had a new German parts Standard Exhaust (from German and Swedish) put on the car with a nice chrome rear cover as well... 150.00 in all for parts and install by a nice local Kwik Fit garage who I know well.

I've managed to get a few chrome parts for the car over the last few weeks from various places (MINT Porsche door handles, 2 x chrome front mk1 single and twin lamp grills, side chrome trip) but I will be selling these now, saying that I will be selling all my VW parts in the coming weeks of early JULY 06 - so keep an eye out in the FOR SALE section for parts and car.... trust me when I say I've got complete VW cab in spares or if someone wants a cab in parts, I have everything up for grabs for sale and some RARE parts up for sale also... everything will have to go...... but I won't be selling parts for silly low prices.

If your wondering what is going on, I am looking to move to the USA - Seattle in the coming  months, so I'm selling up and moving aboard... I'm still in two minds about my BLACK SOY cab, but I know I can get another one of those out there and do that up.... after I get my 1969 Mustang fastback!!!!!!  :laugh:

I have to say I'm finding it hard now to change anything on the BLACK SOY cab as it really is to the point where I've done most upgrades, so I am happy to say who ever ends up getting the car will have a lovely low mileage car....  :cool:

Well I will update everyone in the coming week on my full plans, but I'm moving for sure.

Don't worry I will still be around on the forum and knowing how I am, will have another VW soon when in the USA.... and will be driving the GOLFGTI.co.uk forum in the USA and I am sure I will be back in the UK now and again....

Si

« Last Edit: 18 February 2007, 21:17 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 31 July 2006, 14:44 »
Few items:

Completely rebuild of steering rack, new clips, rubbers, grease, etc - COMPLETED (details covered below)
Complete respray in BLACK
Put on the complete front car bra (looks amazing custom made for my car) - pictures are uploaded in later entry below.
Install new Coilovers onto the car (sell the Weltic suspension)

« Last Edit: 15 November 2007, 22:57 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 06 August 2006, 16:27 »
Steering Rack rebuild information for Mk1 golf cabriolet

So you might think if you ever have to replace any steering rack or steering column gaiters you will be able to get these from VW, GSF or Europarts. Well I can tell you from trying to get all the gaiters for a mk1 golf cabriolet on a 92 model, you can't. I ordered parts from VW direct and GSF and they provide the same spec rubber gaiters for the steering rack (2 gaiters) and one for the steering column - but none of them fitted my rack at all - even though VW's ETKA system shows I got the correct steering rack for my car, the gaiter information wasn't.

So I did a bit of research and it looks like ETKA system doesn't have the later VW GOLF MK1 CAB rack information correct and so here are two companies that can get you the correct gaiter for you.

http://www.typ-17.de - German site Click on: 'Technik, Aufbau und Verschleissteile Golf ,Caddy I, Jetta, Scirocco I und Polo' on RHS Nav | then 'Vorderachse + Lenkung' - scroll down and you will see items

I always email the company with details from there site on what I want - they always turn up really quickly from this company.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Cabriolet/Steering/24/1 - USA company..

Pictures of items are:

Steering rack (RHD only)
Drivers side gaiter - near steering column

Passenger side gaiter

To replace steering rack gaiters it really it best to remove the steering rack, but this does involve alot of work;

1. Jack up front of car
2. Take wheels off
3. Take the front downpipe of exhaust off
4. Take the gearbox selector out totally - as this is bolted onto the steering rack on mk1 golf cabs
5. Undo the steering rack rod ends
6. Unbolt the steering rack - 4 bolts

Then can work on steering rack as easy - remember when taking the end off to mark up the adjustable one side - or else your car will be toeing in or out and you will need to get the wheel alignment done afterwards..

Here is a picture of the new correct rubber installed on the rack and the wrong one from VW and GSF... the VW and GSF ones don't even go on properly.... You know when you have the correct gaiters as the drivers side one doesn't require any clips to hold it in place as it has a inside lip that holds it onto the rack when the steering is on full lock, the VW and GSF require clips and not properly go over the steering rack lip.

So here is my completed steering rack rebuilt - with new gaiters, clips, end rods and geased up - nice and new  :cool:

While I had my downpipe out of the car I cleaned it up and sprayed it to make it a little nicer with high temp paint, and checked the heat sheild as well which was perfect.

Another two jobs completed :)
« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 07:11 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 06 August 2006, 16:36 »
So over the last few months I've had lots of fun with gearboxes.

Thought you would like to see the gearbox once back from being rebuilt (June06) before I put it in the car.. (July06) - so nice to have a smooth gearbox again

When I both gearboxes out in the garage.

Refurb one back and painted black - all ready

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 07:21 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 04 September 2006, 19:29 »
Managed to get my car bra on today after a bit of heating up and pulling it onto the bonnet. What you all think? I do have the bumper cover as well, but will require another person to put that on properly, so try/will do that at the weekend.

2 black cabs!!!!!  :laugh:

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 07:27 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 06 September 2006, 18:04 »
VDO voltage gauge installation

I bought the following Porsche gauges from a good known US source.

I am going to only use the voltage gauge in the BLACK SOY cab, below is close up of the gauge.

Here is the back of the voltage gauge with all the correct parts.

Information you will need to know to wire this voltage gauge up.

The voltage gauge is easy, just connect between the +12v feed to the other gauges and the brown 0V wires. A suggested route is between the ground point next to the fuse box, and pin G2 on the back of the fuse box, (a spade connector).

Here is my centre console cover which I'm going to install the voltage gauge into.

After a few minutes of drilling out a hole with power drill... hehe, I put the voltage gauge slightly to the right so I could still keep the rear clips to hold the centre console plate to the centre console

Here is the voltage gauge installed into the centre console plate and installed in the car.

Another job completed...

Useful link on VW Golf gauges - http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~kaw5/gauges.htm

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 07:32 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92