Author Topic: Short term insurance for new driver  (Read 1283 times)

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
Short term insurance for new driver
« on: 02 June 2023, 18:03 »
Any one in a similar situation?

Daughter has just past her test this morning. She is going to Uni in 2 and a bit months. Doesn't own her own car and unlikely that she will until Uni is finished and she is working...

So where can I find suitable insurance without getting absolutely b*tt f*cked! For example 42 days insurance is £450!

It is on an Up! GTI, but even the 60bhp Move Up is the same price, so it's not really the car...

Any pointers folks?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Short term insurance for new driver
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2023, 19:20 »
It would be worth getting a quote for an annual policy and working out the pro-rata price for 42 days cover. If it works out cheaper than getting a 42 day short term policy, why not take out an annual policy and then cancel it after 42 days? I’m assuming;
  • there’d be nothing in the policy small print that would stop you cancelling the policy, but worth checking that out.
  • cancellation of an annual policy would be a straight forward pro-rata of the annual price.
Bear in mind that most insurance companies make an admin charge to cancel a policy mid-term, so you’d need to take that cancellation admin fee into account as well as the actual premium charge.
« Last Edit: 02 June 2023, 19:23 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2023, 19:40 »
As above, most insurance companies would refund or even better, pay monthly and then cancel at the appropriate time, there is an obvious premium for monthly but has to be cheaper than short term cover.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2023, 22:15 »
Thanks, worth considering...