Author Topic: Pickup from Germany  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Paling

• Not said much yet
Re: Pickup from Germany
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2009, 19:22 »
The import/export rules have changed over the last couple of months.  The car needs to be physically in the UK so it can be registered before the user are allowed to pick it up.  So picking it up in Germany and driving it to the UK is not an option any more.

Huh - there are no import rules for countries within the European Union!  And why do Audi still offer this facility?

Hmm, good question.  This is how Customs and Immigration explained it to me.
Deep Black Golf GTi 5dr Mk6, 18'' Monza Shadows, Cruise Control, ACC, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Storage Pack, Front & Rear Park Assist and Flat Tyre indicator.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2009, 13:21 »
The import/export rules have changed over the last couple of months.  The car needs to be physically in the UK so it can be registered before the user are allowed to pick it up.  So picking it up in Germany and driving it to the UK is not an option any more.

Huh - there are no import rules for countries within the European Union!  And why do Audi still offer this facility?

Incompetent Civil Servant - sort of says it all really. :rolleyes:

Why do you think there is no such thing as 'Duty Free' anymore?  Providing the car, or beer is for your own personal use - then there is NO extra duty to pay when moving goods from one EU country to another. :smug:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Paling

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2009, 17:05 »

Incompetent Civil Servant - sort of says it all really. :rolleyes:

Why do you think there is no such thing as 'Duty Free' anymore?  Providing the car, or beer is for your own personal use - then there is NO extra duty to pay when moving goods from one EU country to another. :smug:

I would not be suprised when I go in and speak to a different person, that I will get a different answer.
Deep Black Golf GTi 5dr Mk6, 18'' Monza Shadows, Cruise Control, ACC, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Storage Pack, Front & Rear Park Assist and Flat Tyre indicator.

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2009, 17:34 »

"Free movement of goods, services and people" - It's one of the founding principals of the EU!

Some telephone monkey on £11k at HMRC probably doesn't even know what the EU is.    :angry:
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline Gene Hunt.

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2009, 19:01 »
I would love to go to the VW factory.Only seen pictures the place is like a small city with everything for the workers.
Candy White ED35.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2009, 22:43 »
I would love to go to the VW factory.Only seen pictures the place is like a small city with everything for the workers.

They are all incredible places.  Not been to Wolfsburg, but been to Mercedes and Porsche in Stuttgart, Audi in Ingolstadt, and BMW in Munich - all awesome places.

Oh, the Ducati factory in Bologne is well cool too - but forget the Ferrari Maranello visit - home of the 'red' cars, and they couldn't organise a pizza in a PizzaHut!  :rolleyes:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Radek

• GTI forum regular
  • Good things come to those who wait
« Reply #16 on: 09 September 2009, 14:36 »

Just to clarify - there are no import/export duties, not rules. These remain in place but can be waived for the transport of personal goods. But if you try to bring a lorry full of sweets your paperwork will have to be sorted out.

And I believe you are talking about registration rules, which is another story. A car needs to be in the country to be registered with full standard UK plates. For driven delivery from Germany you would have to obtain temp German plates, drive here and register it in a similar way as for example Japanese or US imports.

« Last Edit: 09 September 2009, 14:40 by Radek »
Golf GTI VI DSG - died on the road, resurrected, came back as zombi, sold
R - rising blue, 5-door, DSG, ACC, something something...

Offline Paling

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 09 September 2009, 15:19 »

Just to clarify - there are no import/export duties, not rules. These remain in place but can be waived for the transport of personal goods. But if you try to bring a lorry full of sweets your paperwork will have to be sorted out.

And I believe you are talking about registration rules, which is another story. A car needs to be in the country to be registered with full standard UK plates. For driven delivery from Germany you would have to obtain temp German plates, drive here and register it in a similar way as for example Japanese or US imports.

That sounds correct.