Author Topic: HOW TO: Change lights in dials/MFA displays & adding extra LED's - Pic Heavy  (Read 65790 times)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
I have a set of Anni clocks that I have done most if not all of what this thread is about from stuff Brad has said in the past.
But when it cam around to MOT time I didnt want the mileage changing so swapped em back and have not bothered since due to the mileage.
Was quoted £80 to have it done.

I will PM Brad and see though!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
Hi,

Great thread!

Where can I get the 501t LED's for the dials and for the MFA screens?
GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline Itteh

• Here all the time
  • Built Not Bought
This guide will show you how to change the colour of the dials and MFA screens, including removing the green film and adding extra LED's.

You will need:
  • T6 Torx Screw Driver
  • 2 x 501t LED's for the dials
  • 2 x 501t LED's for the MFA screens
  • 4 x 5mm LED's (with resistors) for the dials (optional)
  • A selection of screw drivers
  • A drill with 5mm bit
  • Soldering iron with solder
  • Electrical insulation tape (preferably heat shrink stuff)
  • Pliers

First you need to remove the clocks from the car, the first stage of this is to lower the steering column, by pushing the lever on the left of the column down.

The next step is to remove the ABS/Airbag warning lights. First you need to prise the lights off with a flat headed screw driver:

Once you have access, unclip the panel:

This will provide you with access to the headlight switch which also needs to be removed. This can be done by pressing in the clip highlighted below and simply pulling the switch towards you:

Unplug the headlight switch to reveal a screw:

Next move to the other side of the steering wheel and pop off the blank pictured below with a screw driver:

This will again reveal a screw, undo both screws:

Once the screws are undone pull the black plastic surround off, starting at the bottom. You should be left with this:

Either side of the clocks is a screw, both of these need to be undone:

The clocks will then pivot forwards, allowing you access to the plug:

Undo the plug and pull the clocks towards you, they should come right out. They may take a little wiggling to get around the steering wheel, but as you have moved the wheel down it should be easy enough.

Part 2 to come!

mine is different too... the 1 you have photos of is a new model to myn.. as you can see the date on the photos of when the clocks were actually made.. myn says 06.09.97 wher as your is 18.09.97 which is the later model. my clocks are totally different, the blue leds u have used for the clocks/speedos which are at the top of the picture with the blue surrounding... did you buy these ? or make them your self with resistors. plus i have a bit of a problem, i removed the needles to change the dial faces, and when i tested the the dials, the speedometer and rev counter worked perfect as they sat on the 0 figure. but the petrol and temp gauge dropped all the way down... how do i get them 2 to sit on the correct positions for when i turn the key and the ignition comes on.

Offline GolfGL

• I live here
Hi, so i attempted replacing the lcd mfa display as mine had stopped working. The guide was great but both displays got damaged in removal and i was pretty careful so what did i do wrong? not sure whether to.get another replacing at 20quid or leave it as it is.
Adam
Audi TT 3.2 24v v6 2005 - The Sloth - Weekends
VW Golf 2.0 8v GTI 1996 - Lemonade II -Daily
MNR Vortx Yamaha R1 2009 - Track days
Sold Seat Leon Cupra R 225 -LM04 NDE "Lemonade"

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
Hi, so i attempted replacing the lcd mfa display as mine had stopped working. The guide was great but both displays got damaged in removal and i was pretty careful so what did i do wrong? not sure whether to.get another replacing at 20quid or leave it as it is.
Adam

whats happened to the display? Have you cracked them? Just buy a cheapo set and get some1 to desolder the displays and swap them over.
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline nhop10

• Not said much yet
  • Mk3 GTi
good guide, but are you saying you have to take the filament/sreen cover thing off the mfa dial part to get the colour to show through? i was just going to add red leds..? cheers

Mk1 Golf 1.1, 6n Polo 16v, and now an 8v mk3 GTi

Offline whileoceanasleeps

• I live here
  • patience comes to those who wait.
anyone know what the resistor values need to be? just ordered some leds (inc uv..)  :cool:

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
good guide, but are you saying you have to take the filament/sreen cover thing off the mfa dial part to get the colour to show through? i was just going to add red leds..? cheers

Yes, otherwise the mfa is dark
GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
anyone know what the resistor values need to be? just ordered some leds (inc uv..)  :cool:

what led's have you ordered? do you have any info on them? at least which colours are they?
then can easily calculate min resistor required...
just pointing out that info helps.... at least a girl could tell you the colour of their car  :whistle:

estimate for R is between 680 and 1k5, depending on colour and how bright you want it, probably 1k is fairly good for most.
make sure to use resistors that are rated at least 1/4 W.
1/8W can be close to their limit and since 1/4W aren't more expensive would just use those.

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline whileoceanasleeps

• I live here
  • patience comes to those who wait.

what led's have you ordered? do you have any info on them? at least which colours are they?
then can easily calculate min resistor required...
just pointing out that info helps.... at least a girl could tell you the colour of their car  :whistle:

estimate for R is between 680 and 1k5, depending on colour and how bright you want it, probably 1k is fairly good for most.
make sure to use resistors that are rated at least 1/4 W.
1/8W can be close to their limit and since 1/4W aren't more expensive would just use those.

ordered what i thought were the ones in this thread but they may be the wrong ones. anyway my clocks are different to these, mine are the ones here:

http://www.cdgold.co.uk/clockmod/

much more tricky job to do! i need to get some more led's but i have no idea which ones to buy, i can't find the info anywhere!! i'm guessing if i can find some 12v leds i wont need resistors?